This Disappears When Logged In

Live Prey Ban---Debate

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Drache Dame, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole

nicole Elite Member

OMG! Those movies are so hideous! They make me want to RALPH EVERYWHERE! lol

2. nrfitchett4

nrfitchett4 Guest

actually, in Texas you can use lethal force to defend private property. We're pretty lenient around here and give a lot of leeway when you are trying to stop a crime. They even passed the Castle Doctrine about a year and a half ago that prevents criminals from suing you for shooting them. In texas you don't have to have a permit to own a gun, you don't even have to register them. You can also carry them concealed in your car now, that just changed last fall. There is a permit for concealed carry on your person that requires a course. I am hoping to take that later in the spring.
    Glad they leave you and your sulcata alone!!!
    We just got a baby sulcata that can balance on top of the light fixture!!!:( Needless to say I had to rearrange her enclosure after my wife found her walking across the floor after a 3 foot drop.

3. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Nicole: if you have medical records attached to feeding records that show your snakes actually lost weight and starved themselves before accepting f/t, that would be great!

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

haha PETA would be all over this. They would rather have me humanely euthanize all my frogs, than have them kept in these horrible horrible glass prisons where food is hand fed to them every three days.

;)

I do feed only F/T though and I'm on the bandwagon that if an animal won't eat that, they won't.

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I have to disagree with that, I my-self and quite a few zoos wouldn't think of putting the lives of a few mice or rats ahead of a protected species, bred in captivity or not. Just look at all the animals that are becoming extinct, would they rather let them die or let them eat live prey in captive breeding projects.

6. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

The laws regarding cruelty to animals is handled at the State level, written out in specific State Laws. Some States may get right down to the nitty gritty about specific treatment, specific animals, and others may group everything into one general 'cover-all' law, open to interpretation by any one or by any means. ie; a 'catch all' law, much like Article 15 of the UCMJ, (Uniformed Code of Military Justice). (of which I was subjected to, but that is another chapter!:rolleyes::cool:)

The MA General Laws, Chapter 272, Section 77 covers cruelty to animals, but does not specifically state the feeding of one animal to another. Only that an animal not be subjected to inhumane or cruel treatment or torture.

There are provisions listed in School experiment procedures from the MSPCA's rules regarding such. That, "it is in violation of the law to subject live animals to the trauma inherent in live feeding in captive situations."

My advice; continue with the way you are doing things now. If you feed F/T, or F/K, or L/P, and it works for you and the health of the animal, so be it.

7. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

I think Liz was saying that if an animal won't eat f/t, then she would feed live, but only if absolutely necessary.

I feel the same way. When I worked in a pet store, we fed most of our snakes f/t, but we would occasionally feed live, if our f/t stock was low or if we didn't have appropriately sized prey items. However, if I were feeding a rat, and we didn't have frozen ones, I'd thwap it against a wall before feeding it. Our BP wouldn't take frozen prey, but he took the freshly p/k prey very well.

I know there are tons of opinions on this, and I appreciate it! However, if anyone has any solid facts, such as vet or feeding records, including weight loss/gain, that would be great! Thanks.

8. titus

I see, the way it was written sounded a bit like strange. I'm the same I feel no need to feed live unless needed, there's really no reason to put the snake in any undue risk. But there's no way I could sit and watch one of my snakes starve to death.

9. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

I can see how you interpreted it. :) I just found a GIANT loophole in their reasoning (Yay!) They claim that it's illegal to feed live prey in England, but I did a lot of research, and it's not! The fact that I haven't found proof of it being illegal anywhere (except Germany), I doubt it will get banned here. Honestly, I'm not worried about it getting banned because of the ridiculousness of the claim. More input is always appreciated!

10. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I don't see why they would ban it, it's a natural thing called the food chain. And besides an animal like a rodent in the wild is not meant to be held in captivity, so are we going to ban having pets?

11. titus

Well it's not really illegal here just sub sections of laws are in place to say that live prey is allowed needed to keep the animal in good heath. If you feed live not very many people here would question if you had your animals best intrest in mind. The only thing that is outlawed is to kill prey your-self. So long that the animal does the killing you haven't gone against the law.

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I don't know how they would charge you anyway, Your pet won't be fined if it kills another pet. My pet mouse just fell into the snake cage... again..

13. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

I think it's ridiculous because it can't be enforced. If they want to go on a ridiculous crusade to save all the poor feeder animals, they can go ahead, but it's not going to be illegal to feed live prey.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They can crusade to save all the animals that get processed to make cat and dog food too? They were alive at one point.

I understand their point to a degree - I abhor unnecessary suffering, but the world is full of it, it's part of life, and sometimes, there is no way around it.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are those who believe that that is EXACTLY what should happen.

16. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Banning pets, shoot I would release my kids in the wild before the pets:eek::cool:

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

One more reason I refuse to reproduce. How could I explain to Jr that the Boa really is more important to me when I take him to the orphanage and put him up for adoption?

18. Maya

Maya Elite Member

I agree, with over 7 billion humans, I am all for live prey of any species. Besides mice/rat/crikets etc. are not endangered and they do propagate in millions. Besides I don't even hear a chirp when Tiberius eats, its quick, its clean, and the pain in the pututi -live is all he will eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.