This Disappears When Logged In

Live Plant Questions (ficus, Pothos Spider)

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Boxraddict, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

I have a 16x16x30 chameleon Kit proper for a small veiled, lots of vines in the center, and some fake plants hanging on the top.

I want to add a ficus and pothos below, possibly a spider plant even though from what I understand those do best outside in hanging pots?

Does anyone know a place online that is good, or do you normally get them locally then rinse and repot them in organic soil?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I typically buy my stuff locally and wash/re-pot them.

3. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

Also meant to ask this in the original but somehow left it out:

For the most part, will the UVB lighting be sufficient to keep them alive? Or is more sunlight better. I only have my heart set on the 3 plants I listed in the title but am open to other suggestions.

I am hoping to upgrade when it reaches adult, that'll be 8-10 months so the plant/s would need to remain relatively small (like under 30" with pot included) until the 48x24x24 screen cage at that time.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You will need to look up the lighting requirements for the specific species you go with and where they will be placed in the enclosure. Those plants that require the most light need to be unobstructed and plants with lower light requirements can be placed lower, with the higher plants sheltering them from the light. We have 2 spider plants in the house (not in an enclosure) and they are hanging plants. They do well with just light that comes in from the windows.

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Pothos can do very well in low light.

6. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

I bought a ficus benjamina (sp?) and a pothos. Gonna clean and re-pot today. Thanks.

7. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

The result:

I mist heavily, I use a repti-fogger and I HAVE a Little Dripper, but the thing I don't use at the moment, afraid will spill out everywhere when not home.

tumblr_o4m7na61b51ulizwqo1_540.jpg

I am no plant expert, but I have two 6500K house bulbs, a heat basking bulb and a UVB Repti-sun.

I am familiar with 65ooK's ability to stimulate plant growth in planted aquaria though.