This Disappears When Logged In

Live Moss - What Type?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by kpablo, Apr 26, 2010.

1. kpablo

kpablo Active Member

The temp is 85-90 degree and 80% humidity. I am trying to purchase (for CWD) live moss from an all-natural/organic vendor.

The options I have is:

Peacock Spikemoss
    Carpet Moss/Sheet Moss
    Fern Moss
    Pillow/Cushion Moss
    Reindeer Moss
    Rough stalk Feather Moss
    Hair Cap Moss

I already ordered three live ferns, and am asking the vendor to hold shipping until I figure out what kind of moss to get.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks :)

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Haven't a clue. I would think the CWD would claw it or dig it up.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am also unfamiliar with the mosses. I would suggest running a quick google search on each type to see what info you can dig up.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A problem with live mosses is that they are quite demanding as to their environment.
    If conditions aren't exactly right they will just up and die on you.
    But one thing that most have in common is that they detest calcium in their water. So you end up collecting rainwater to water them with.

5. kpablo

kpablo Active Member

My intentions are glueing them or tieing them to the branches in the enclosure. Merlin, do you know the best type of moss for a CWD? I did google it, and just can't find an answer.

6. kpablo

kpablo Active Member

Well - he is going to send me a sample bag of fern moss and pillow moss. So we'll see how it goes.

7. Merlin

I really don't know much about mosses for water dragons. I just used to know a fellow who built moss gardens in bowls. Sort of bonsai landscapes.

8. Pkadash

Pkadash New Member

another thing you could try is riccia. Most aquarists us it underwater but it can be tied or glued outside of water too. Its beautiful, easy to care for, multiplies quickly, isn't poisonus, and should be fairly cheap. type riccia in google and take a look at the pictures...

9. FXL5

FXL5 Well-Known Member

With many types of moss, glue isn't necessary. They can often reconstitute from soup - that is, take your moss, plus a few nutrients and some rainwater, blend until pasty, paint onto your surface. If there are any crevices, they'll grow from the paste and be fine. It's been used for living graffiti on old brick buildings, and trees, and that sort of thing.

10. injunjoe

injunjoe Well-Known Member

A fine idea!

I would bet a bit of yogurt would work wonders with this idea.

Any moss should have rainwater I agree!

11. Merlin

If I recall it uses buttermilk.

12. FXL5

FXL5 Well-Known Member

Anything will do, I used generic plant food the only time I tried it. Buttermilk or yoghurt would probably provide plenty of the same stuff, might even be better.