This Disappears When Logged In

Little Guy Got Sick?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by aeral, Jun 13, 2012.

1. animallover82

animallover82 Member

I hope hes Fine!!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

A good rule of thumb for size of feeders is no longer than the distance between the leo's eyes.

3. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Yeah that's what I was doing but I trusted that the pet store would give me the right size too. So I guess the lesson is to not always trust the pet store.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

This is the first step to become a wonderful pet owner :)
    I hope he's doing better :)

5. aeral

aeral Elite Member

He isn't, sadly. He is perky and excited to eat, hunts, but just cannot keep them down. Only thing he has managed to keep down is beef baby food. Silly guy. Pet store suggested calcium deficiency. I don't know. Leave him alone a few more days?

I feel like not feeding him is better than him either going through force feeding or being sick to his stomach. Both are pretty stressful I imagine.

6. mld

If he is regurgitating his food, something is wrong!

Feeder size
    Temperatures too low
    Parasites

I would either take him to the vet or get another one.

7. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Feeder size has been adjusted (got some even smaller crickets today).
    Temperatures are around where they should be.
    Parasites are a possibility, I suppose.

Vet is far more likely. I'll give it another three or four days though. -sigh- Is it normally like this? I'm kind of put off of reptiles now.

8. mld

This can happen more with hatchings, they are small and sometimes stress can compromise their immune systems. During the first week you will want to keep handling to a minimum, just offer food in the evening and add a piece of carrot for the cricket to nibble on. In the morning if there is still crickets remove them and then wait till the next night. You could also try small mealworms in a little dish that is slippery so they don't get out. Once they realize that is where the food is, you're good to go. I only pick up mine for monthly weight checks. If you have a digital scale its good to keep a record of the growth, Length to vent, total length, and weight.

Have you found any poop? Is he drinking? You can try to drip a drop of water on his nose and see if he will take it.

9. aeral

aeral Elite Member

He hasn't pooped since the day I brought him home. Not sure if he has drunk anything other than the liquidy food I dabbed on his nose.

I wanted to stay away from mealworms because it seems to be a digestion problem and thought that maybe the chitin might not be the best thing.

10. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I fed him about 24 hours ago, he hasn't been sick at all today. He's also far more energetic. I think I am safe to say that he is okay now. :)

11. mld

Glad to hear! :)

12. aeral

aeral Elite Member

What a relief! I really thought that I was failing as a first-time herp owner.

13. mld

When they are that young they are more susceptible to stress and may not always bounce back. But getting the set up just perfect really helps.

14. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks.