This Disappears When Logged In

Little Guy Got Sick?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by aeral, Jun 13, 2012.

1. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I'm probably being silly and fretting over nothing, but last night when I got home I fed the leopard gecko, accidentally dropped a couple of crickets in there and because I am afraid of them, just left the crickets in there for him to eat. He happily chomped up both, but this morning when I was getting ready for work he threw one of them back up.

Is that just stress, or too much food? He's really tiny and the person at the pet store did give me the smallest crickets she could find, but she said just to feed him one a day for the first little bit. Is that the issue?

(maybe his eyes are bigger than his stomach...)

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Regurgitation can be a result of several things. Yes, over eating can be a cause. Parasites and inaccurate heating can also be a cause, as can stress. Offer him his normal meal without the extras and see if he regurgitates them again. If he does he may need to be seen by the vet. You should also ensure that his warm hide is around 88-90 degrees so that he can digest everything properly.

Leopard Gecko Care Guide (Eublepharis macularius)

3. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I have been really careful about the heat but I will retest temps. Could be he is just stressed too.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

What are you using to check the temps? Those stick on dial thermometers are known for being off as much as 20 degrees. A digital theremometer with a probe(walmart for $7 in the thermostat isle) or an infared temp gun would give you the most accurite readings. When did you get the little one and how often are you handling it? New animals should have a strict 1 week hands off to adjust to their new home.

Also the one cricket a day does seem like your under feeding, are you feeding anything but the 1 cricket a day? Does he have a dish of meal worms? How big are the crickets? They should be no bigger then the space between the eyes.

When I frist got my little one I fed her 10 small crickets a day and kept about 20-30 tiny meal worms in a dish.

5. ReptileGuy10

ReptileGuy10 Banned User

Well does he have a spot where he can get heat on his belly? They need that to digest food. But don't make it to hot because then it will burn their tummies. :)

6. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I bought a thermometer with a probe and had the heating pad on for a few days to make sure it was right before I brought him home.

I just got him yesterday and he was quite spiteful and I know I should let him be so I plopped him in the aquarium and didn't disturb except to feed.

I don't have mealworms because the ones they had were much to big for him to eat. He is about the size of my index finger I want to say. Maybe a tiny bit bigger. The crickets aren't too big though. He has spent a lot of time hiding in the warm hide although I enticed him out with a cricket. He seems fine now.

Maybe it was just the combination of being shipped, poked around by the pet store people.

He is really skinny.

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I know that the PU here in Moncton is selling adult crickets, they are not getting small ones in for their baby leo's and beardies, this makes me so mad. You can try mealworms if the crickets are too big.

Make sure that the probe is actually touching the floor, if it's not touching anything it is just reading the air temps. With doing this what are the temps on the hot side? You will want to aim for around 90-92

8. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Petsmart had some small crickets but not many. I think PU is a little cheaper but not sure what they have for sizes.

Sorry I don't have farenheit temp but it is 31 celsius. I get this temp by placing the probe directly on the substrate and waiting with it pressed down until the reading stabilizes.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just to say that 31c is 88f, what`s the temp in the warm hide?

10. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Inside the warm one it's about 33 degrees. (reading I am getting is 32.8) - I did just turn up the rheostat a little bit because I think he's probably cold which is why he's huddled in the warm hide.

He also threw up the other cricket sometime while I was at work.

11. mld

12. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Yeah I have read plenty about the debate between the two.

I ordered the thermostat and it was only supposed to take about a week but it hasn't come in yet. Using the rheostat is not a permanent solution. I understand the differences and the concerns that can arise from using a rheostat.

13. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Petsmart recommended I leave him alone for a day and then try to feed him. They suggested beef baby food if he refuses to eat.

14. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Since I can't seem to edit my post I thought I would let you know that with a little heat tweaking and some quiet he seems fine. :) Cannot wait for the thermostat to be here so I stop worrying so much!

15. mld

It does usually take a little while for them to adjust!
    I would highly recommend that you bring in a fresh fecal for testing, every new reptile should see a vet. Also most contracts, say that the animal is only guaranteed if it is vet check within 5 days. I bring mine in once a year for a check up and drop of fecals several times a year.

16. aeral

aeral Elite Member

No vets that I have found take reptiles although I called several. The contract guarantees him for 15 days regardless of vet checked. Will call a few other vets.

17. mld

18. aeral

aeral Elite Member

19. EyeOfHorus

EyeOfHorus Well-Known Member

Good idea to bring him to the vet if you can, even if it is nothing and you "waste" a little money, it will be good for your peace of mind.

I personally keep my Leo at 92 - 95F (33C - 35C) with a cool side of 79 - 81F (26C - 27C), and even though there is no humidity gauge in her enclosure, I know it is at least 50 - 60%, as that is what my room is at and maintains that humidity in my snakes enclosures that do have the humidity gauges.

I think higher temps than 91 - 92F are beneficial for Leos, but everybody keeps their animals differently. I just thought I'd mention what has worked for me, as my Leo use to be a rescue in pretty bad shape and now has the biggest tail of any Leo I've ever seen, and I've seen millions upon trillions lol.

Good luck! Let us know what the vet says if he goes! or better yet, if he turns out to be perfectly fine without needing a vet to verify.

20. aeral

aeral Elite Member

He seems a lot perkier tonight, was out and about in the cage a lot more where previously he was just hiding inside his warm hide. The temperature increase seems to be helping. Fed him a tiny cricket so we'll see what happens. Called the vet but the doc that is normally in wasn't. If he regurgitates the cricket by the morning, I will leave him alone in regards to feeding for a couple of days.

On a side note, I think maybe the crickets -are- just a little on the big side for the little guy.

(Also, I don't really see the money as a "waste" - I have had him for two days and I really love the little thing. I want to see him grow up and be all happy. He's like my child, except far less obnoxious than a human baby and far more cute. >_> )