This Disappears When Logged In

little flies

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by SKULLMAN, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

what are those little flies in my tank?they look like furit flies,are they a bad thing i just did a complete clean of my tank 1 week ago.i have seen them before in with my buddy`s spiders.please help :confused:

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

What tank are they in? And what kind of food do you have in the tank?, i.e.a lot of fruit and veg?? Sounds like fruit flies to me - we get them sometimes with the veg we put in for the beardies and the snails. Nothing to worry about regarding the animals, just annoying for us :p Should die down now winter's coming :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Could also be fungus gnats. Either one can come on on pottted plants and are attracted to damp areas of potting soil or other organic material.
    They are harmless,..

just annoying to us.

4. fo0d

fo0d Member

I have no idea what their scientific or common name is, they are harmless as Merlin has stated above. They are just attracted by damp/moist places. It wont really matter if the cage is clean or not, I've noticed that it will mostly happen when the herp tips over some of his water into the substrate. In my case bark.

Dont worry too much about it, unless they're infesting your tank I doubt they'll harm your herp.

5. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

i have a corn snake so no fruits or veg,and are those fungus gants bad

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What type of substrate do you have and are there any potted plants in the enclosure.
    The gnats are harmless

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

They sound like the little gnats I have in my potted plants... they're a bit of a plague, reproducing like crazy... but they are harmless. If you buy potting soil that is not sterilized, they are often in there (or their eggs are). If you have potted plants in your terrarium, they probably came in on those, or maybe just flew off some of your houseplants. They love moist soil and warm conditions.
    Catch some and take them in a CLOSED(!) jar to your local gardening center or nursery. They can identify them and there are natural predators (nematodes) available that you can put in the soil that will eat the eggs.

There are also insecticide sticky strips that you can buy, (dozens will stick to this thing every day!), but DO NOT put them in your terrarium with your animals. (A snake WILL stick to that thing and you'd have a heck of a time trying to get it off AND it's TOXIC. Fingers stick too, so be careful.)
    You might want to have them in your houseplants though.

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Another thought...

Hey, my husband just ordered predatory mites to feed on the reptile mites that Monty brought home :(
    They are called Hypoaspis miles; you can order them online in the States too. Martin might have the address somewhere.
    Anyway, they'll eat those little flies, their eggs and larvae, AND any reptile mites that might sneak into your collection! As soon as they've eaten all the bugs (their only food supply) then they starve and die off.
    They need moist soil and warmth and then they just do what they do best... eat and reproduce. We're going to try them on our current mite infestation and I REALLY hope they can get rid of the monsters! It would be a VERY elegant solution!
    I'll let you know how our experience works out. (I'm hoping they'll take care of the black gnats in my living room plants while their at it!) :p

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

BlackJack, good luck with those predatory mites. I'd like to hear how they work out for you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.