This Disappears When Logged In

Little Bit

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Dana, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana

Dana Active Member

Hey there everyone; it's been a while with work and everything.
    Little Bit has NOT eaten yet, she's hiding in her substrate.
    I looked at her yesterday and she almost nailed me. (LOL) She was burried in her substrate when I was cleaning her tank. Just as I saw her go into strike mode I pulled my hand out and she nailed her tail!
    Little Bit's eyes are just now clouding up! So I'm hoping she'll eat after her shed.

And I thought you would like to know that the RTB that I was going to get (Striker) is still there. I called the ASPCA on the shop.
    I went in to get some feeding guppies for my Oscars and was looking at a baby BP and noticed that one area was caved in, there was a family there looking at it to buy for their daughter as a gift- when I saw the area I asked to see it as I explained to them what I have. He handed it to me. I looked at more carefully and the area was caved in, it was the size of a silver dollar and it was pulsating faster in that area. I told the father not to buy it that it was ill unless he was going to take it to the vet asap. That even then I wasn't sure what if anything the vet would do.
    He thanked me as they left. I'm waiting to hear what aspca is going to do.
    The aspca around here is use to handleing cats + dogs. LOL

If anyone has suggestions about my rtb please feel free!!!!

2. BOA68

BOA68 Member

Have u had her to the vet yet. I really think she should be looked at. It has been a long time since she ate.

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Dana, right now with the temps dropping I'm noticing a slow down in feeding all around. Check the temps in the cage and wait until the shed is done. Carmella just went 3 weeks without eating and then yeasterday she was stalking me as I walked by, I took her to the feeding bin and she ate. I didn't think about it until I read your thread but I just turned my heater on and raised the room temp by about 5 degrees.

4. Dana

Dana Active Member

ok

I'll bump the temps up a little and see how she sheds. If she doesn't eat after her shed I am taking her to the vet.
    Temps have dropped here as well in Georgia.
    All my other babies are doing great!
    I did however put Littl Bit in 20 long hoping that will help her.

Thanks everyone!

5. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

How is Little Bit now Dana? How long have you had her/how long has it been since she ate last now? And how old is she?

Well done on calling the SPCA on the shop - if an animal is ill they should not be making attempts to sell it, they should be making attempts to take it to a vet and get it better if possible, and back to full health before they sell it. I never understood the thinking of these places.. surely healthy animals mean better business and more recommendations?? They just seem to be out for the quick buck and that's it. Even if they are only in it for the money, they don't seem to realise that proper care of the animals means more money in the long run. But I don't think anyone should be allowed to sell animals without knowing the proper care of them,,. just housing an animal wrongly while it is in the shop means that the incorrect care is passed on to every customer who walks in the shop. :mad:

Anyway, enough of my rant! :D Let us know how Little Bit is,. and she may eat after she has shed, but if not, as Jay suggested, try playing around with her temps and photoperiod a bit,. reptiles are very perseptive to changes in season, even if temp differences are only a few degrees, and some will go for months over the winter period without feeding.

6. Dana

Dana Active Member

update on Little Bit

Everyone will be happy to know that Little Bit did a very healthy shed with a solid piece! I moved her upstairs to my room where there isn't so much traffic. And she has been up and about more since I moved her there! I'm going to try and feed her this evening.
    according to my log she ate 09-02-04 and she ate 2 hoppers live for now. I'm just trying to get her to eat at this point! But as soon as i can get to eat reg. I'm going to prekill.
    I did however contacted the shop and asked if she was captive or wild caught. I explained to the owner why I was asking and she contacted her dealer to find out for me, to both of our suprise she's wild caught! That would explian a lot for me!
    I also called my vet and told her what was going on; she was the one that sugested me to move her to a more quiet area. That she thought Little Bit was wild caught and not use to so much traffic in the living room.
    My partner wasn't to happy about it but Paula is getting use to having Little Bit in the bedroom! LOL
    Thank you for asking about her! It's nice to know that other people care even when you don't post! Thanks again!
    I enclosed a pic of her last feeding; she ate 2 the same size!

Attached Files:

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Good luck and let us know if she eats.
    And on a side note, it's a real shame she is wild caught, there is no real reason for anyone to be importing animals anymore, with the amount of breeders there are. Have you had her checked for parasites?

8. Dana

Dana Active Member

Proud Momma here

I would like everyone to know that she ate! She ate 2 live sm mice just 10 min ago!
    yes i did have her checked for parasites and nothing!
    Just wanted to let everyone know sshe doing good! :D :D :D

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Ssounds awesome Dana, keep up the good work.

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Outstanding, I love good news.

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

That is brilliant news!! I am so glad she has eaten for you. Hopefully from now on she will eat regularly for you, and will do much better from now on.

I agree with Jay, but sadly WC and CF are still regular occurrences. However, there is nothing you can do about the fact and the best you can do for is provide her with a great home. I must say, I'm quite surprised that she is WC, being that she is obviously still young and quite small. Perhaps she is CF in the sense that her mother was caught from the wild and the babies she had were retained in captivity..

Anyway, good luck with her. Please continue to keep us updated. I love good news!! Congratulations again! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.