This Disappears When Logged In

Liquid Nails Sealant?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by cslammon, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I have a few holes in my enclosure I'm building, and I want to seal them to make it flush with the wood. On the bottle it says Do not use with aquariums. Im just assuming this is because of water issues, but is it safe to use in my enclosure for a water dragon? None of the holes filled with the liquid nails will ever see much water. Plus I'm going to be painting over the stuff and waterproofing it all.

What do you think?

2. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

It either doesn't make a waterproof seal or it releases toxic compounds into water. I've never used this particular product, but if it says "do not use with aquariums", toxicity levels may be present or released when exposed to water. Don't take the chance, find something else to use!

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What size of holes are we talking about?

4. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

In your other thread we talked about the use of West System Epoxy. They also have a selection of 'fillers' to mix in with the resin to make it thicker. 'Thickening Agents', 'Micro Balloons". The materials can get expensive, but the good part is, you don't need very much. A little goes a long way with this product.;)

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

If you are going to cover the entire area with the west systems epoxy, then I wouldn't worry.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are just talking about nail holes and such I would go with wood putty.

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I second the wood putty.

8. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Hmm I didnt even think about it, I can use the good stuff, the holes are like 1 inch by 1 inch from where the drawer supports were, thanks guys.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the holes are that big I would suggest cutting a peice of dowel rod to fill in the most of it and then puttying around the dowel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.