This Disappears When Logged In

Lil Hisser!

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Inane, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inane

Inane Member

My new girl is great all around, but she does a little hissing when reaching into her setup.

No striking - just simply clearly audible hissing.

I've got a few ideas bouncing around my head, but looking to broaden my view.

temp spectrum in order - humidity ok - no mites - clear cut day/night cycles - feeding schedule up to par... no breath/wheezing - mouth clean and clear .. vent clean and clear... skin smooth and clear - no visible injury - no remnant shed skin...

my best guess is shes being a testy lil girl...(but not striking)... i think id be pretty upset if someone was to pull the roof off my home and reach in and scoop me up....but thats just me ;)

shes still young and the breeder has quite the collection - and the animal likely lacked any routine socialization - if any at all... (had a clutch of 43 babies total - has 2 full grown burms a tiger retic a breeder pair of redtails - misc turtles lizzies and t's - so i can understand the lack of "individual attention" to the "for sale" stock...

basically i wana make sure im not overlooking something

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah, she probably is simply adjusting to a definite change in her routine. That, and it has been my experience that young snakes tend to be a little more temperamental because they are still figuring out that not everything in this big world outside the egg is a threat.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, she's probably still nervous in her new environment, especially since she is still young.

4. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

She's being a Burm, all hiss no striking, has she started to "push" you away when you try to pick her up? just watch her body language when she hisses you'll be able to tell when she means the hissing and when she is just doing it to do it. My girl did this from 14" till she was 11' and the only thing that changed was it got louder,lol.

5. burmmamma

burmmamma Member

She is definitely nervous-most baby burms are hissers until they grow accustomed to their new homes and owners. Make sure she a hide on each side of her tank to give her a sense of security.

6. Inane

Inane Member

thank you all kindly

what i figured anyway - just trying to make sure i want missing anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.