This Disappears When Logged In

Lights?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by docdubz, Feb 12, 2012.

1. docdubz

docdubz Member

Is there a rule of thumb (like there is with salt water reef aquariums) to figure out how much wattage your lights need to be to support terrestrial plants?

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

It really depends on what type of plants you intend to support, some need very little light while others need significant amounts. A quick google search pulled this and this up, which may be of help you you.

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Also, more importantly, you should be thinking of what the requirements for any animals you intend on including in the enclosure are before thinking about what plants need. Once you get the type of lighting and it's layout down, then worry about the needs for live plants.

4. docdubz

docdubz Member

that is a very good point, sorry i didnt elaborate more in my post. I plan on having 2 different basking areas, one hotter than the other. as well as a cool area. I was unsure how many additional fixtures would be needed to support plants that need medium to high light. One of the links that you posted says approx 20watts per square foot should be good, not sure how accurate that is though