This Disappears When Logged In

Lights late at night?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Microscope Jockey, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

I'm going through a bout of insomnia (yuck :( ) and it occurred to me that having the lights on all night all the time might not be good for the animals. I try to shut them off by 2am and then just sit in bed miserabley but I usually have all of them on before that from about 4 in the afternoon. The animals seem fine at the moment but is there anything I should watch for to indicate that the lights are adversely effecting them?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

They do need there photoperiod....any way you can darken the cage ??

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Agreed! They should have their dark period. An interruption now and then won't hurt them but doing it every night may be a bit stressful on them confusing them. Have you considered throwing a blanket or something over the cage to cut out as much light as possible? It doesn't have to be pitch black. On moonlit nights there is still a good bit of light.

4. Microscope Jockey

I knew they needed a photoperiod or I wouldn't have been concerned. Hmmm, there are 7 cages so I suppose I'll have to just turn the lights off and pace around in the dark. What time should I turn the lights off? Normally when I am actually sleeping the lights go out between 9 and 11:30pm. What sort of signs will they exhibit if I've already stressed them too much?

The one good thing about being an insomniac is that I get to see the Dumeril's boa between 4 and 7am more than I normally would ;)

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

hey MJ,,,,how bout ya get one of those lamp hats for people who suffer from summertime withdrawels in the winter,,,hee hee

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats the problem with snakes. By the time they show evidence of stress they are pretty far along. The first signs will generally be a change in behavior or routine. There may not be any outward signs of it for quite a while but it wil leave them more susceptable to becoming ill.

You could always make side panels for all the tanks and stick velcro to them and the tanks so you could "batten them down" during bouts of insomnia.
    Sort of like people do when a hurricane is coming.

7. Microscope Jockey

I'm a little more concerned about the lizards actually. They are in the livingroom as are the BPs. Boyd and the small snakes and Carmen live in my room and the small snakes and Carmen are in my herp cupboard (which Merlin says looks like an outhouse) so I can close them off from the light and cover Boyd up. I'll get out some paper and "batten" the leo cages and the BPs, thanks guys.

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I was just thinking as I was reading this....get some thicker black paper and tape it to the tanks. it will look alot better than towels or blankets hanging all over the place.
    I'm really glad you brought this up MJ! I have my computer fairly close to the snakes, which means my lamp is on all that while too. I'm off to buy some black paper too.
    Thanks MJ!
    Jem

9. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

If this insomnia is common then maybey you should get some help? I take sleeping pills=chlondidine or something of the sort t help me.
    Or what helps me is I listen to my headphones and one of my favorite cd's for an hour or so, take em off, and sleep. Ofcoarse I am laying in my bed the whole time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.