This Disappears When Logged In

Lights for Plants in Custom Enclosure

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Ace10, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Hello

i have a 6'x6' Chinese Water Dragon Enclosure with 2 46" T5 UVB lights and i was wondering whats the best option to add a light for the live plants that i will be putting in there, i do have a 30" hood that i used for uvb can i mount it on top with a plant growth bulb ? do plants need light from a specific distance like reptiles and uvb ? and any suggestions on which bulb i should use ?

thank you very much for your help

Ace

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

In my experience, plants are not picky on wavelength so much as other factors (how much light they are getting, or other environmental conditions such as heat and humidity)

Your CWD will likely destroy any live plants you put in there, so even if they are well-lit, they still have to contend with claws.

I use compact fluorescent bulbs - nothing fancy - for lighting my plants in non-inhabited terrariums, and they do quite well.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah, your best bet with foliage would be to get some nice looking cheap plastic vines and plants, and if you find the right place a plastic bush or tree.... I found a couple fake trees at a local art show at a fair a few months ago.... that was after my iguana destroyed two of the hibiscus bushes and a few palm trees I put in her enclosure..... live plants will be shredded buy an arborial lizard.... but if you feel you would still like too maybe pot a few plants, and build a raised bottom to your enclosure and cut some holes big enough to stick the potted plants inside of just to the outer rim so they don't fall through, so you can keep changing them up so you give each plant time to recover after a brutal battle with your lizard.....

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I had moderate luck hanging pots high up near the ceiling in my CWD enclosure. Put something with a trailing vine (I used Pothos) and even if your CWD destroys the lower reaching vines, pothos is sturdy, and will just send more on down. It will eventually get beat up, but it is a cheap, and very common plant in most places inclined to sell houseplants. If you buy one, you could cut it up to make multiples, and always have a new plants ready to replace one that got shredded.

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

basically just buy multiple cheap plants to change out to give the others time to regenerate....

6. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Well the problim with changing the plants is that i want to plant them in the enclosure not just put them in there with pots and thanks for all the info guys

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For a 6 ft tall terrarium you probably aren't going to have much luck with fluorescents. For that distance you are probably looking at Metal Halides. Basically a street light!

8. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Ok thanks for the info you guys are great