This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting, the Sulcata's Road to Recovery!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Ccooper97, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Ccooper97

Ccooper97 Member

So I've decided to start this thread, for advice, and to warn any people who are first time owners. RESEARCH YOUR SULCATA. I fed her the wrong food for ten years, and I'm lucky she's alive. I have her on a grass clipping, grape leaves, and orchard grass pellets diet, with the occasional spoonful of pumpkin and grass clipping puree mixed with calcium supplement. She's ten years old, And before I went to the people that set me up with all the right stuff she was 7" from shell end to shell end. Its been almost 3 weeks, and shes 7 and 3/4 inches. She's eating pooping, and really active. Its too cold to keep her outside anymore, (I live in SLC) So until I can build her a really good indoor pen, her habitat is a fairly large cardboard box(in the pics) What can I do to homey it up a little bit? I need to get her a hide box for sure, but she actually loves to come and hang out with me! whenever I put my hand in the box, she casually strolls over to me. So this'll be my week 1 Post!
    2011-10-20 18.43.55.jpg

2011-10-20 18.44.58.jpg

The picture of her nose is to show her lower jaw, Which has some bone disfiguration. (dark semi circle that looks a little bit like a star trek emblem around her head is actually her lower jaw)

2. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

what i would do is build her a indoor enclosure and box setup because that box wont suffice what type of setup do you have such as lighting heat ect

3. Ccooper97

Ccooper97 Member

My room is extremely close to the heater in my house (I'm in the basement) So the ambient air temp is usually around 75-ish In my actual room, a little warmer in her box because I have a desk lamp on one side until I get a heat bulb, but since she has some uvb and the lamp makes a good gradient, and the hottest is about 90-95, I'm not super concerned with humidity, or temperatures. And I soak her every other night. If you caught it, in my post, I said that the box was only temporary, until I can build her something big, or find a used 5x5 watering tub in the classifieds.

4. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

what type of bulbs do you use?? if i was you id just build her a box its easy and cheap but hey everyone their own lol but yea id make that box VERY temporary dont take it the wrong way but i recently lost my baby tegu and dont want anyone to feel what i felt losing her you know

5. Ccooper97

Ccooper97 Member

Can't quite remember what type of bulb the uvb is. The one in the lamp (provides most of the heat, is just one of those curly bulbs (I think halogen?) Yeah, what do you mean by building a box for her? Like just putting together 5 sheets of MDF Plywood? I'm just a tad confused

6. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

yea pretty much we did that for my cousins baby sulcata we can do it even for an adult not to mush to it

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

A plain old house bulb will generate plenty of heat (incandescent, not halogen). So as long as you have a UVB source that will work. I use an mvb that provides both heat and full spectrum UV light. You don't need a lot of humidity with these animals as long as they have a moist part of their enclosure that they can dig and burrow in, kind of like a wallow. Potting soil works well for this and for the rest of the enclosure you can use grass hay, which won't cause them any issues if they ingest it. My little guy, who is two and about four and a half inches (smaller than I'd like him to be, but no pyramiding on his shell whatsoever), is in a wooden "tortoise table", 3'x3'x1' and that will hopefully last him until I have a nice big backyard that he can roam around in and an outdoor shed to keep him warm during the winter.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would highly recommend picking up a MVB bulb. best UVB out there. What sorts of UVB have you been providing during the cooler months?

9. Ccooper97

Ccooper97 Member

I dont know the brand or the type of the uvb bulb, but its been on her cage since about may, so i'd say it'll be time for a new one soon. Are the mvb bulbs tubes?

10. justor

justor Elite Member

a Mercury Vapor Bulb is a flood lamp type bulb. It needs to be mounted in a dome/wire fixture.

11. Ccooper97

Ccooper97 Member

Thanks!

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member