This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting Suggestions Needed on 75 Gal Molded Plastic Viv - Adult Beardy

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by vincebus, Dec 31, 2012.

1. vincebus

vincebus Member

I rescued an older female bearded dragon (not sure of the actual age) from one of my family members that can no longer take care of her properly whom rescued it from another person that took very poor (at best) care of her. She's really got a great disposition and I want to give her the best viv set-up that I can with this 75gal molded plastic enclosure (dimensions and pics below), however, i'm having a bit of trouble envisioning how much, placement and fixture types to use for lighting. The fixtures that I currently have won't fit in the enclosure due to it's 36" inside length. I need something that will be low-profile, high-enough output to give her the light/heat levels she needs to get back to a healthier existance. I don't mind drilling holes in the viv for the lighting. The only thing is that i'm on a tight budget and it will just take a little time to get it ready for her...

Dimensions:

outside dim - 36"x28"x18"​

I also plan on changing her over to a slate substrate to get her away from the play-sand she's currently living on... Here's a pic of the enclosure for more detail

View attachment 21770

Attached Files:

2. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

just get some slate tiles at home depot, and go outside and find some logs you like, and get a light bulb from homedepot as well... and uvb from amazon.com and you should be set.

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Congrats on the new addition and way to step up to the plate. The enclosure, while nice, is on the small side but it's better than most. Personally I'm not a fan of how they (Vision and the like) mold the basking lamp 'duct', for lack of a better word, into the ceiling like that--it basically turns your typical flood light into more of a spot light. The problem with that is for an animal like a bearded dragon you should provide a basking spot large enough to cover it in its entirety. While it depends on the wattage and the distance from the face of the bulb to the basking surface, if you were to use two PAR38/Outdoor 50w Halogen bulbs side by side (both on a dimmer) you would be fine. Unfortunately you would have to modify the top in order to allow for that type of setup. I would suggest adding a 22" Arcadia t5 HO 12% UVB fluorescent directly beside the basking area. In addition to this bulb you will also need to provide amble ambient lighting on the cool end, be it a moderately high wattage (23-30w) daylight rated compact fluorescent (Non-UVB), another linear fluorescent or LED strip in the 5000-6500K range. The more light, the better. Substrate wise, tile, as mentioned above, would be a good choice. Just ensure its non-coated (not glossy or slick) and cut to size. Both Home Depot and Lowes will cut tiles to size in store for free--just make sure you have the right interior dimensions first and don't forget to lay the tiles out and measure before you leave. Also make sure you take coved corners into account because they will directly affect the way the tiles layout. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot!

4. vincebus

vincebus Member

Thanks for the help guys, I did a little more research on my own today at my local orange lumber store and since the electrical dept guy is a pretty good friend, I think I have a better idea of what I can do for the tube type lighting inside the enclosure. I also found out that I can dismantle one of the light fixtures that i currently own, mount the end connectors (if they are of that style) and just run the wires outside to the balast (I know, 800 volts...*ZAP*) After that is done, i'll work on getting the slate issue figured out, it's gonna be a challenge since there are two (on either side of the floor of the enclosure) raised channels about 3" wide that go from the front to the back. I looks like they may just be pretty close to the thickness of the slate so i may be in luck, if not, i'll figure a way around it! I think i'm going to put just a radiant heat source down in that well, I really don't think much light is going to make it through that grate, it's not like mesh or anything. I guess if worse came to worse, i could cut out the grate and mount the light but, it still seems like a lot of work just to make that the basking spot. I'll try to locate her basking elsewhere...

I guess thought if it came down to it, I could probably use the 125 gal viv I used for my CWD (RIP). It's more for an arboreal though, more height than floorspace. It does have about the same floor space as the molded plastic unit and i could probably get the basking spots wherever I needed them without obstructions...Hmmm, I wouldn't have to cannibalize my lighting fixtures to make them fit the smaller enclosure and the slate would be so much easier to have cut to fit... Oh jeez, I think i'm talking myself into it. >:)