This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting question

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by redtailgal, Jan 8, 2012.

1. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I am sorry that I cannot give you pics. I live way out in the stix and have VERY limited bandwidth, with little to no upload capabilities.

I am reworking my lights for Elroy's enclosure. He is in an enclosure made from cbinet grade wood, and glass doors. The top has a section on both ends covered in wire for the lights to shine through (the middle of the top is solid), and I have wooden covers for each wire section in case they are not in use. The enclosure measures 3x6x6 for now.

There is another 3x6x6 section that will be added to it within the next few weeks, with the same wire top configuration. But for now, I am just working on the lighting for the first half of the enclosure.

I have two of the Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixtures. You can see them here: Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture - Lighting - Reptile - PetSmart

On one side we have the basking area. In one part of the dome I have a Zoo Med™ Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp. See it here:
    Zoo Med™ Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp - Heating - Reptile - PetSmart. His basking area stays around 92-96. The other part of the dome has a Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp . See it here: Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp - Lighting - Lighting - PetSmart

On the other side of the enclosure I have another of the same UVV bulbs and a ceramic heater.

The Basking light and UVB bulbs go off at 7pm, the ceramic heater stays on 24/7. The coolest part of his enclosure gets down to around 80 (maybe 79 if its really cold outside).

Thats what I have. I dont like it.

The two UVB bulbs were bought because my other one just died on me two days ago. These bulbs were the ONLY ones in stock at Petsmart (they were getting more in this week).

SO the questions:

Are those bulbs terrible? they dont look like much to me.

I would like to go to a bulb that will give UVB and heat. I'd like to put a UVB/Heat bulb on both sides of the enclosure, and have a ceramic heater in the other portion of each dome (may not have to use both of them all the time, but would like them for those chilly nights). I do not want to order a megaray. (sorry I know alot of you like them, but I've heard alot of folks that are unhappy with the company).

Thanks!

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I like all of the Exo Terra bulbs and have never had any problems with them. Zoo Med has a really great reputation with most of their bulbs. I have used the infared night time bulb with my herps and was happy with it.

I have also used the deep domes. They are by far my favorite light fixture. However, I need multiple fixtures and at about $20 a pop, it's more economical to buy domes from hardware stores ($5 at Lowe's).

You really can't go wrong with any of these lights. :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The coil lights are totally inadequate for an iguana. The amount of UVB they produce and the limited range that they deliver to is no good with something as large as an iguana. If you want fluorescents you will need two tubes which run the length of the cage and basking areas which enable the ig to get within 8-19 inches of the bulb.
    The mercury vapor bulbs are more inline with a larger enclosure. Since you are leery of the megarays, the Zoo Med power sun would be the next choice and are available thru shops. If your local shops don't carry them you can find them online, usually considerably cheaper than the pet shops.

4. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Thanks Merlin. Just called the shop and they have those in stock! I'll just get them from the store this time, I'd rather him be under a good bulb now than have to wait for them to get here, but I'll shop online for replacement bulbs (thanks for the tip).

The old bulb was a tube, I've save the fixture for it and will run tubes in the front of thre new section once added. Should those be UVB (I know the tubes wont provide heat)or just regular tubes?

Should I put a vapor UVB on both sides?

Or should I put a vapor UBV on just one side and a different kind of light in the other?

I dont want to over do the UBV, and I am hoping to keep his lighting as simple as possible without compromising his heat and UVB.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`ve used Powersun MVBs for many years, in my opinion, excellent builbs. NO, you should only use one per enclosure. I`d suggest the 160w, it MUST be positioned so the surface of the bulb is a minimum of 30cm (12inches) from the animal`s surface when basking (surface of animal, NOT basking spot surface).
    If you need extra lighting, a 2-0 fluorescent tube is good, very little UVB, but excellent for supplementary illumination. EDIT: On second thoughts, an ordinary household fluorescent tube will be fine as supplementary lighting, much cheaper than the reptile type, and can last much longer.