This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting question

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by 311Style, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

So I currently have a 75 gallon with a 150 watt che and a 48 inch UV tube which is about to go out (been 5 months). Im thinking about getting the Mega Ray UV bulb but reptiledirect.com is out of the 100 watt think the 160 watt would be too hot? I dunno any input helps...

Thanks
    Ryan

2. venus

venus Founding Member

I think it depends on how tall your tank is and how far away the basking spot is. If you could provide this info, I might be of more help. lol

3. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

rofl my mistake tank specs are 48longx18widex20high

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

It may be a bit warmer, however if you have your CHE on a thermostat you can make sure the temps stay fine. Or you could consider getting the SB? which gives off heat and UV light.

Just a note though, what make is your UV tube? Most last longer than 5-6 months, and usually keep going for 6-12 months. Manufacturers give dates as a rough guideline. You'll find that in the first month or two the UVB output decreased quite dramatically, and after that it decreases only a little at a time. We are hoping to invest in a UVB meter (also sold on reptileuv) so we can test our bulbs, will save us a fortune in buying new bulbs when we don't need to, and is also safer for the reptile, as some bulbs should not be positioned as close as they recommend, while others need to be closer so that the animal can gain full benefits. :)

5. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

My che is on a thermostat so I wasnt so worried about it after I relized that :p Whats the SB?

And reptiglo 5.0 atm its a temp bulb hah :X

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

SB = Self Ballasted. A self-ballasted mercury vapor produces both heat and UVB light. An externally ballasted (EB) mercury vapor only provides UVB, not enough heat. I recommend the SB. Another nice thing about the MVs is that they give off UVB at a greater range from the bulb. They're not bound by the 12 inch rule of the florescents.

7. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Ahh thanks a lot Im gonna go with the 160 watt bulb and just thermo down my che to keep temps correct thanks a lot guys ;)

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Don't forget that your beardie should not be able to get within 12" of the bulb, as is the case with some other bulbs - you must position the bulb at least 12" away from where the dragon can sit under it. :)

9. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

:O so maybe a lampstand would be good too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.