This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting My Cresties Enclosure

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Aaronthomas, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Aaronthomas

Aaronthomas Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I'm stuck on what light to use to light my vivarium, to be able to see inside with ease during the day any ideas?
    Thanks

2. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I just use a compact "daylight" fluorescent from home depot. low energy, low heat output, lights the vivarium well but doesn't overdo it too much (since my crested gecko hides from it since they are nocturnal)

3. Aaronthomas

Any particular make? And would it be ok to put in a exo terra compat lighting hood?
    Thanks

4. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I used the store brand that was on sale. They are nocturnal so they don't require any special lighting, it's just for aesthetics and to create a day/night cycle.

The lighting hood might be a little bit of overkill, as far as amount of light it creates and the cost of it, but I'm sure it would be fine. Just make sure there is a barrier between the light and the gecko so he can't crawl in! I just use the smallest domed clamp lamp because I happened to have one extra.

5. Aaronthomas

Ok thankyou! But will a the light damage his eyes?

6. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

If it's a really bright light, they get bothered. Like she said, make sure it's a low watt bulb :)

7. Aaronthomas

What wattage would you recommend?

8. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

The lowest you can find. Make sure they are regular household bulbs too, not a heat lamp.

9. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

10. Aaronthomas

Thanks! Would a exo terra repti glo 13w 2.0 uv be ok?

11. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

They do not need UV lighting and I have heard of issues with UV CFL lights, although I don't know much about the issues (something about too much UV causing blindness?) but that would be worth looking into. All of my reptiles are nocturnal, therefore don't require UV lighting, but I believe even for animals that do require UV lighting, it is necessary that they have adequate places to go without the UV lighting. So at a maximum I would only install one of those, but really, I would not recommend it.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Just use a standard 15-20watt energy saving flourescent bulb. They are cheap to buy and run. Plus mos people have some lying around the house somewhere.