This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting Guide

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Vers, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I was talking to Todd from lightyourreptiles tonight and he mentioned this very interesting species specific lighting guide on Arcadia's newly updated website which I found to be extremely interesting and very informative. Check it out!

Arcadia Lighting Guide

2. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Aw, no Jones on there.

3. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Nice, thanks for the link

4. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Flipping through their various suggested setups I'm seeing some... very odd... clearly hand-wavy figures being offered. Marketing in the guise of science.

I do like how every diurnal basking reptile I clicked up recommended stronger bulbs for any terrerium over 3'. That's something I've been ranting about for a long time. So, some vindication. I suppose American companies (ahem Zoomed) should stop buffaloing customers, and herp vets should get with the program.

I suppose I do have to give them credit for getting closer to realistic concepts as opposed to the usual "5.0 is for forest lizards, 10.0 is for desert lizards" rubbish.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Perhaps...but it's important to know that Arcadia is very clearly making an effort to provide a quality product, apparently even involving Frances Baines (UV Guide) in the testing of their lighting, which can be seen in the video I recently posted. If she has anything to do with the R&D or QC process you can bet the products that roll off the line will perform up to very high standards. I'm not sure how they developed the lighting charts, but I'd assume they are based off of actual figures rather than guestimations.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I wonder if these are available in Canada?

7. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

The recommendation of UVB for T's/Scorps had me cracking up a bit though, especially Hadrurus arizonensis. I love marketing. :confused:

I would love to see the research on average D3 concentrations in the blood of captive animals forced to bask at set mass-calibrated times under various levels of UVB though :)

I bet Lightyourreptiles.com would ship to Canada. I hope anyway! :)