This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting for a Rosy Boa?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by aquarles, Feb 1, 2011.

1. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

What kind of lighting should I use for my rosy boa, Grace? Should it be a heating lamp only on one side or a light that goes all the way across that doesn't give off much heat, but helps her metabolism. Does she need a black light at night?

2. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I have a low wattage night bulb (in a standard dome) that sits on the top middle of my enclosure...the main heat comes from my under tank heater. No extra light is really needed. I mainly use it only for my own benefit...Like when I check on her at night time, and I don't want to turn on my daughter's bedroom light...(her enclosure is in my daughter's room.)

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

You don't need one that goes all the way across. Mainly you want to establish a warm side and a cool side. Mine gets heat from his under the tank heater on the warm side and a heat lamp above the same side. Most of the time the heat lamp above it has a regular household type bulb and that combined with the heat pad gives the temps I need. In the winter when it gets colder, I change out the bulb for a red bulb, I find that helps better than the regular bulb in the winter. But what you need to get the correct temps also depends on where you live as well.

Here's the site's caresheet for Rosys. http://www.herpcenter.com/rosy-boa-caresheet.html

4. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thank you so much for your answers!! We live in MS so unfortunately the humidity here in the summer is horrible, so inside we keep it pretty cool, even in the winter. That's why I was wondering if I should invest in a night heating light too.

5. DarkMagician207

My lights are on timers (for my Rosy and 2 corns). The lights come on around 8-9 in the morning and go off 8-9 at night. The heat pads under the tanks are always on though. You could always see if timers help you get the right temps and results you're looking for. Humidity will not be your Rosy's best friend so it's good that you have a way to control that. :)

6. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thanks, I will definately look into the temperature timers! Can you get them at a local pet store or would looking/researching online for one be my best bet?

7. DarkMagician207

Some pet stores have them, you can also check hardware stores as well, like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. They may be cheaper there. Honestly, mine were free as my dad works as a maintenance man and had some extras. But pet stores and hardware stores are 2 places to start and if not then I'm sure online research can point you to where you can get them.

8. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I got one of mine from Wal-mart, and all of my others from HomeDepot...they are honestly very affordable and well worth the purchase.

9. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Ok thank you, I will definately look there!