This Disappears When Logged In

Light Question

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by sallie2010, Mar 18, 2011.

1. sallie2010

sallie2010 Member

I have a Zilla double light with a light/heat bulb and a night heat bulb for my leo habitat. This is a really stupid question but should the light/heat bulb be on the same side as the undertank heat pad or the opposite side?
    Right now its the opposite side.
    Temperatures look good today is a colder day in the house and the cool side is about 81 degrees F.
    I don't have a temp gauge for the other side of the tank...its a 15 gallon so I didn't think I would get too much of a gradient.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You want a warm end and a cool end, so it would depend on your temperatures.
    But usually it would be on same end or you might not need both.

3. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Hi Sallie2010, interesting question, based from what I have read and experienced, leopard geckos require belly heat any additional heat is simply optional. However if you live in a location where it is known to get chilly then a small wattage bulb day/night will do nicely above the main heating element. As long as the gecko has the ability to thermo-regulate itself then you should be fine.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree with mike. You want the light on the same side as the UTH. This gives them a warm side and a cool side.

5. sallie2010

sallie2010 Member

That is what I read too. Thanks for the reply!