This Disappears When Logged In

Light Guards

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by target1911, May 11, 2011.

1. target1911

target1911 Well-Known Member

As mentioned in another post I am gathering supplies to start multiple enclosures.
    These will be for snakes and stacked ....well actually 4 cages in 1.

My question is what do you use to guard you snakes from coming in contact with the light and how is it mounted? I want something that looks nice as it will me visible in the lower 2 enclosures.

OH YEAH...I was planning on using the ceramic style base that is a solid mount to the inside of the enclosure. If there is a better way, please feel free to tell me as I am open to suggestions.

Pictures would be GREAT

2. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Take a look at snakeboi1994 on youtube. His cage building part 2 video.

I hate making bulb guards. If I build another enclosure with heat inside, I will use something like what he is using.

3. target1911

That is really cool. Question is... where to find those baskets..
    Can you show pictures of the ones you have made?

4. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i made mine out of welded wire, it looks like a heavy mesh and i got it from home depot, i didnt like building them either, but a lot cheaper than buying pre-built

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. target1911

That's really nice. Thanks.
    I don't care for the ledge that is made by the catch pan though. I think I will look at other options.

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I don't have any pics of the ones I made, but I can explain it easily.

I had a scrap piece of 4x4 post, which I hammered hardware cloth around in order to make a box. One end was flared so i cold screw it around the light socket, and I made a hinged, flat piece for the top so I could change the bulb.

Cutting the stuff was the worst part, and filing the sharp edges that were left over

Maybe you can see them good enough in this pic:

CagePlants.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can do the same thing as in the tutorial but use a different chrome stove ring
    IMG_0487.jpg

Attached Files:

9. target1911

I like that Merlin thanks to everyone for your tips.

10. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i did mine just like stated above with the square idea, doesnt seem as bulky and you can open it from the bottom easily for bulb changes, if you would like i can also post a pic later today, they are pretty simple.

11. target1911

Yes.....please post pics