This Disappears When Logged In

Light Bulbs....

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by schmidt1894, Aug 17, 2012.

1. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

okay... so could somebody explain to me... which would be better...?

having a 150 watt bulb or two 50 watt bulbs?

for a bearded dragon? just asking... because i dont understand how a higher wattage bulb dries out everything quicker.. than having two lower wattage bulbs... and getting the same basking temp with two bulbs rather than one... so could somebody explain..? why is it better to have a higher or lower wattage bulb...

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Completely depends on the setup and the types of bulbs. Assuming we're talking halogens, both wattages would work, though the 50w bulbs would be better when setup properly. Not only would you be saving $$$ in the long run but you would also be able to create a larger basking surface area. In fact, you don't even need them to be 50w. IMO the best way to set it would would be by mounting two 45/50w outdoor halogens right next to each other and have both on dimmers/rheostats in order to control output without having to move basking areas or bulbs all over the place to get everything dialed in. Don't forget to add other bulbs as well, namely a quality UVB as well as some additional ambient lighting (i.e. one or two 23-30w daylight rated non-UVB compact fluorescent bulbs).

3. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Okay... So... If you have a 40 gallon breeder, and have a beardie... Wha bulbs would you use? And what wattages?

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I would do exactly what I recommended above :) My current setups include two 45/50w outdoor halogen lamps on dimmers, an Arcadia t5 HO 12% fluorescent and one or two 23-30w 6500k non-UVB compact fluorescent bulbs (all on timers). If I were forced to use a tank, I would also seriously consider making a custom top and base. The top would look something like this:
    6957739775_4f77f11754_b.jpg
    6957740177_b589fff10e_c.jpg
    Otherwise I'd just build a complete enclosure with access from the front face.

Attached Files:

5. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. thats awsome. how did you make that picture? haha, thats sweeet! do you have instructions on how to make a top like that? i'd love to have it to maybe build one!?!

Attached Files:

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I don't have instructions, per se, but I do have the file that you can determine dimensions from. All you would need to do is download Goolgle SketchUp (for free) and watch a simple tutorial on how to navigate and use the program. From there you can use the tape measure tool in order to take measurements. The construction and electrical aspects are a bit different--If you lack the knowledge I would highly suggest seeking qualified help for these two areas :)