This Disappears When Logged In

Light Bar is Humming

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by SonnysDragonS, Feb 26, 2012.

1. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

So the light bar I have over the corn tank is giving off this really annoying hum... I can't seem to figure out why either? Any ideas on how to stop the humming?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Is the light and fixture new or old?

3. SonnysDragonS

It's not to old... It didn't make this noise the last time I used it... But it hasn't been plugged in for about 6 months and now it is... Could it be the light bulb? Or is it the fixture? This on is a 10gallon aquarium light bar... I also have a 20 gallon long light bar that seems to be doing the same thing.... But not near as loud

4. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

The reason for the buzzing is more the balast in the light. What happens is the metals in the light act as an electromagnet which interfere with the balast causing the buzz that we hear. Im not sure if theres any way to stop it accept getting a new bulb

5. SonnysDragonS

O really... Just a new bulb? That simple?

6. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Dont hold me 100% on that but im pretty sure it is.

7. SonnysDragonS

Hopefully we can be get some other opinions before I go out and buy some new lights...

8. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Yeah i am by no means an expert at flourescent light bulbs and id feal bad if you went and a bunch of lights and it didnt solve the problem

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you using the proper fixture for the light? My husband said it may be the ballast in it. Would you be able to bring the fixture into the store and try their bulbs. I've done this with one that I bought.
    I don't know much about this stuff, best of luck, I know the noise can be annoying.

10. SonnysDragonS

Anyone have any other ideas ??

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The noise is coming from the ballast. I would go get another tube and see if it still does it. If it does you will need to replace the ballast.

12. SonnysDragonS

Is the ballast the little circular thing plugged in by the tube?

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I have the same idea that it`s probably just the ballast that might need changing. It`s simple enough to remove and replace it, as I`m sure you know!

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes it is! You need to turn it counter clockwise (I think?) slightly, and then it pulls out.

15. Merlin

Nope. That's the starter.
    The ballast is a rectangular box looking thing inside the fixture cover. It is the part that makes the fixture cover get warm.
    Image:Ballast5.jpg - wikiHow

16. SonnysDragonS

Yea so I took the light bar apart last night and the mouse is deff coming from the ballast... But I couldn't find any cheap Obes online... Like $20... Just for a new ballast... Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new unit? Or does anyone know where to get a new ballast?

17. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

How long is the fixture

18. Merlin

Most of the cost of the fixture is the cost of the ballast.
    The rest of the fixture is just a peice of sheet metal. Unless you have a pricey fixture, it would be just as well to go buy a new fixture.

19. SonnysDragonS

Just a small 10 gallon tank fixture