This Disappears When Logged In

lice problem

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by critters2004, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. critters2004

critters2004 New Member

what can i treat rats and mice that have lice with, but still have them safe to feed to snakes?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hopefully someone with some knowledge in this area will be able to help you out. is it possible to treat them with a human lice treatment found in the drug store and then rinse them off once the treatments are complete?

I don't know what chemicals they use to kill lice, so I have no way of researching the affects of them.

I do know that you could probably use bird mite and lice spray to help erradicate them though. It is supposedly non toxic as the birds will prune their feathers even after application. Perhaps you could try that stuff, allow it to work, and then "bathe" the rats afterwards to remove any trace of it?

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Hey critters.

Sure lices, not mites?
    Are you breeding by yourself, or are they buyed?

You should ungently also check YOURSELF!
    Lices are a plague also for humans!!!
    ...and do not make any difference between your head and a mouseskin!

NEVER feed snakes with mouses, which get something again mites, lices & Co !!!
    NEVER!!!
    The medicaments will be kept in the liver of the mouses or rats (or other animals, kept for feeding).

You can also freeze all mouses and the rats, desinfect VERY WELL all cages & fixtures (with vinegar).

regards,
    Dragonfly:)

4. HerpsinIN

HerpsinIN Member

From working 4 years at a vets office (only dogs and cats though), lice IS species specific, meaning lice found on a cat will not transfer to a dog or human. Trust me, I had to hold several cats that had lice and I didnt wear gloves and I never got it.

As for causing problems with the snakes, I am not sure and I personally would not take the risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.