This Disappears When Logged In

levels in a 20 H for leo

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Paige, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paige

Paige Elite Member

ok, so I am getting the 20 H for my leo cause the 30 isn't available yet. I really don't have the room for another 30 right now anyways. I guess my question is would it be possible to add levels out of slate or something..I am not sure I want to go through the trouble though if I am going to eventually go bigger =) I have driftwood I can add instead of levles too. I am not sure she would even use levels. I did see her climbing the vines after a cricket once though so she does climb if there is good reason lol.

I guess I just need suggestions or a 20 L =)~ I WANT to give her as much space as possible, but I am not sure if I have enough space available for a 30 anyways.
    Thanks!

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I have found that the leos will climb over things and would hide in a cave like structure...be sure if you build something that it cannot fall and hurt him.....My leos sit on top of their hides quite often....

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would go with a series of ramps and ledges to add more floor space. Leos are not exactly the best climbers and using branches would possibly allow a fall.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

There are 2 really easy ways to create levels. The first is to build a second level out of wood. It can be as wide as the tank is and roughly 3/4 the length. This lets the leo have almost twice the floor space. A simple ramp or stacked slate could lead to the second level. It doesn't need to be high off the floor.

You could also use and shape styrofoam to create a second level. Strofoam in itself is climbable, but I wouldn't place it over a heat source. That should be used on the cool end of the enclosure.

5. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Great idea, I never thought about putting levels in an aquarium. Ok, we all know I'll a little slow sometimes. LOL

6. Paige

Paige Elite Member

Thanks so much for the ideas. I was thinking the slate might be too heavy, but it is thin, but it need to be cleaned BIG TIME. What about a safe way to clean slate? What would be best to glue or attach the levels? Thanks so much!

7. Merlin

If the peices are small enough just boil them. Or you could wash them in a 1 to 5 bleach/water solution and rinse well.
    For gluing it I would go with epoxy. But make sure it is aired out good before putting it in the tank

8. Paige

Paige Elite Member

well the tank was a 10 gallon =( I already have a 10 gallon, so ididn't get it..I might just do the levels in the 10 gallon I don't know. Thanks Merlin. I will do that in the 10 I guess. I want to try one more time for a 20 LONG! I think that would be the best size.

9. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Yeah leos have a habit of running off into the nothing...I'm planning on building a level on one side of the tank that is low enough for him to climb up on and not high enough to hurt him and then have the water dish and another hide under it

10. Paige

Paige Elite Member

yeah I am just trying to get more space for her. I can get a 30 gallon which has the same floor space a a 20 long...but really tall and it would take up soo mcuh space not to mention be hard to get into on my part. I am still looking. I might just keep the 10 and do the levels, but I really really want a 20 long =) What size tank do you have for your leo?

11. whitney1414

whitney1414 Member

I have my two in a regular 20 gallon...but will be adding another level soon.

12. Paige

Paige Elite Member

yeah a 20 High is good too, I just thought where I have that tank it would be really high and hard for me to reach inside too. especially with a 30 gallon.

13. Merlin

You could always turn it on its side and build a door for (what was) the top.

14. Paige

Paige Elite Member

yeah I already talked about that, which is a really good idea! I was going to do it with a 30 gallon. I am just trying to see if it would work with a screen instead of a glass cause I don't want humidity. I have to make sure it will be easy to reach inside too!

15. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

Yea i would go with just the safest route and you really want levels i would just make sure he can't fall and everything will be good, i wouldn't let him climb on plants or anything like that. Other then that a 20 high for a leo is good!

16. Paige

Paige Elite Member

I am trying my best for a 20 Long, but so far only can get a 30 gallon...which is great floor space but really too high...I don't know

17. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

30 is better for the leo then a 20 but if you don't have the room i would just take the 20 h and it will be fine the leo will be ok in it!

18. Paige

Paige Elite Member

I was going to do a 30 on its side if I can manage to do a screen side as an opening/lid thing =)It would be a palace! I just don't know if I can find the space. I have 2 offers for a 30, so I guess that is what I will have to go with =)

19. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

I've been studying a thing like this for my leos and every plan poses a problem, either in safety or in hygiene.
    Fixed, rigid structures are great for their safety but lousy for hygiene. They can be also a nightmare if one of them hides in a secluded place where you can't get to.
    Piled up, assemblable structures are great to clean and to "fine tune" them to their needs but pose a serious danger if they collapse.

My best solution so far is to use a modified wine rack. They are designed to stand a lot of weight and you have so many different types, you can choose the one that fits best your current enclosure decoration, from a simpler one like this to a more sophisticated type.

20. Paige

Paige Elite Member

thanks that looks like an interesting idea =) I will have to look around, my budget is getting alittle tight now though...

I haven't even started yet cause I don't have the aquarium yet lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.