This Disappears When Logged In

Let's do some Florida herping.. Somebody.

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by KrokadilyanGuy3, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh, thank you, Cody. I've been to Torreya, which is beautiful, but I haven't been the nearby area called the Garden of Eden...my husband has been there though and says he'll take us one of these days :)

He pointed me to this web site, which specifically mentions the Garden of Eden. Thought you might like to see the page:

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/florida/preserves/art5521.html

What sort of herps do you usually see when you go there?

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Juliane, I'm pretty sure it is the same park. It has been coined the Garden of Eden because a writer, a long time ago, came along and linked the park to several biblical passages about the Garden of Eden, or that was the story I got, I just always call it that because it's a lot more fun to say your going to the Garden of Eden then to say Torreya. :p

I haven't been since last spring when I went for class. I spent a lot of time in the ravines among the peat and found several caudates (dusty salamander), snakes, and inverts (mostly crawfish). The park has acted as a little 'net' for northern species that have worked their way down the rivers, it is full of endemic species of plants and some reptiles. We saw the elusive Eastern indigo as well as a rattler while walking the higher trails up to the bluff.

3. smallgrayfox

My husband went a summer or so ago, and wound up getting so overheated he really thought he was in life-threatening trouble (and he was all alone! :eek:) He finally managed to get to a stream that went under a little bridge, and he just lay in the water under that bridge like a lurking troll until he felt relatively ok again. I'd have hated to have been an unsuspecting hiker going over that bridge to see feet sticking out from under it in the water! :p

4. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I'm game.

Has the cold nights affected herping up there yet? If not, we need to get out there sometime soon.

5. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Not yet as I was driving out that way the other night dropping a friend off in the wee hours when an alligator bigger than my car was crossing the road. Seriously bigger than my car and occupying over two lanes and standing about 2.5' high. I think my car would have been totaled if I didn't see him and he would have easily walked away.

But yeah, i'm ready when you are.

6. smallgrayfox

:eek: What part of Tallahassee was that? :)

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm jealous! The only things that wander across the road here are Deer and Skunks.

8. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

It was out by Lake Talquinn, about half way between downtown and the Torreya park.

9. smallgrayfox

Wow...that's pretty cool :)

10. KrokadilyanGuy3

What are the temps going to be like this weekend? I am not going to Orlando as far as I know this weekend, so I could kill some time.

11. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Unless there is another front coming down it's back up in the 90's up here so it's even hotter down there for sure.

12. KrokadilyanGuy3

80s here.

Let me know if you are doing anything on Saturday. I should be pretty much free if you are.

Anyone else? It'll be a swell of a time.

13. smallgrayfox

That would be really cool, but I have to go visit in-laws this weekend...*sigh* :rolleyes:

14. KrokadilyanGuy3

Excuses.

In your situation, I would pretend to be sick anyway.:cool:

15. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I was really hoping you would say Sunday. Saturday I actually have off of work but it's parents weekend for the University, so between that and the game i'm booked Saturday. The temps dropped a lot today but it should bounce back up by then.

16. KrokadilyanGuy3

Sunday would be fine as well.

17. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

So you'll be up here Sunday? Looks like it might be in the 60's in the morning, its up to you.

18. J Quarlej

J Quarlej Active Member

Well, my twin just got back from the glades, looking for Burmese pythons, but ended up going to Key Biscayne and catching a few Spiny Tailed Iguanas.
    We will be going back down to the Glades in Dec in hopes of finding another Burmese.....

19. RubenRubicon

RubenRubicon Member

Where in Florida? There are Argentine B/W tegus that were released in polk county, that would be cool to find. They are considered a pest and being eradicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.