This Disappears When Logged In

Lesson Learned...

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by justor, Jul 7, 2013.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

Well it happened, as it does to every snake keeper sooner or later. Got tagged this morning haha.

I have her pretty well conditioned to know when it's feeding time and when it's maintenance/handling time. The lid for her tank is secured with velcro, and when I need to do maintenance in her tank I undo the velcro on the left side first followed by the right side and then remove the lid completely. When its feeding time I only undo the velcro on the right side so I can life it open and put her rat in. Well this morning I noticed she pooped in her water bowl so I needed to clean it out. I didn't follow my own protocol and only opened the right side of the tank where the bowl is. I didn't think it would be a big deal because she just ate a few days ago (in hindsight the poop should have been a good indicator that she was ready to feed again, live and learn). Well anyways I should have known better because as soon as I stuck my hand in there she came flying out from where she was coiled up on the opposite side of the tank and BAM! Hit me right on the top of my hand and coiled her entire body around my wrist. I mentioned in a post the other day that she would eat a horse if given the opportunity, and I think I just proved that point haha. Surprisingly it didn't hurt at all, but she drew A LOT of blood. It was dripping from my hand while she was still coiled around me. I had to give her a bath because she kept slithering through it and got blood all over her haha.

Anyways I had to take a few pictures, but as soon as I realized just how much it was bleeding I had to put the camera down and clean it up before I made a huge mess.

This was mere seconds after she got me.
    0274E431-3A04-44EB-95FB-3492B2947A70-29904-00001BB30C6721C6_zps524aea08.jpg

And here she is looking all innocent after I cleaned it up a bit.
    4D5EABE8-382F-472C-9F11-F04C9CDFDAF9-29904-00001BB313310A54_zps5465fb77.jpg

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Nice one man! She realized her mistake I think, the second photo just looks as if she's wondering what happened to you :) I'm still avoiding any bites but seems like everyone's luck is running out... They are fast though aren't they ;)

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Haha yes indeed, very fast. I hadn't even picked up the water bowl yet when she got me.

4. JoeyG

LOL! Atleast she didn't hang on and start to constrict

5. justor

justor Elite Member

Oh she did. She let go with her mouth after a couple seconds but she was coiled tight around my wrist for a while. She's really strong haha.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

Come to think of it that's probably why it bled so much.

7. JoeyG

got to love our pets ;)

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Im with you man: still retaining our luck. We should start a pool for the last guy standing.

Justor, how did you get her off of you? Did she just immediately uncoil?

9. justor

justor Elite Member

Nah she was still constricting me the entire time I was cleaning up. Once it stopped bleeding I just unwrapped her with my free hand starting from the tail. She was pretty cooperative by that point.

10. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Sorry Justor- Just read the part where you explained that lol. Glad she did not you in a bad spot man.

11. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

Oh man!

12. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Dang. That looks like it bled a lot more than mine did o.o

13. JoeyG

Okay Frank, you and me then. Think I'll win this one because since mine try more often I'm used to it :) Austin we'll let you be the judge since yours is fresh :)