This Disappears When Logged In

LEOPARD GECKO PROTRUDING rectum9sp)

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by LeoGrl, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeoGrl

LeoGrl Active Member

Well my albino gecko was found today with a protruding rectum an i had to bring it to my local reptile store an she helped me put it back but its from being on a ESU calis sand product will get full name after i post, has anyone ever had this happen if so did the animal survive?
    hollie

2. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

First of all I don;t even think a reguler pet store employee that has no license to do these things are allowed at all. (ILLEGAL) If you know she does not have a license you should probably question a herp vet if it's legal or not. Because she could only make it worse and ofcoarse we don't need more peple like that around in our pet stores. The best way to go is a herp vet ASAP. She could have a chance if you get in as soon as possible. Again, please no one ever use the dreaded murder named "CALCIUM SAND"

3. LeoGrl

LeoGrl Active Member

for one she is a reptile breeder an owner an her store is only REPTILES she breeds herself she been doing it 25plus years i trust her more than anyone an for two its the product ESU lizard litter destert blend cal sand, which a 10lbs bag went in trash today just got it friday,

4. MoLdYpOtAtOe

I'm just saying that it could be against the law... I still would say a herp vet asap is in order also.

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Prolapse is treatable by an experienced breeder. If she is what she says she is, the snake should be fine. If there is any doubt or another prolapse, get thee to a Vet immediately!

Concerning Cal-Sand: We now have another person who realizes the possible dangers of particulate substrates! Woohoo! One less person to preach too, and one more person to help us preach at the sametime!

6. lola

lola Elite Member

ok, here goes...

hollie, if you trust this pet store owner/breeder, then i think you did the right thing to bring your leo to her for help. especially if she has been keeping reptiles for so long so maybe she might have had some experience with this kind of thing before.

i have had this problem a couple of times before, once with a leo and once with my rankins dragon. i don't think it was the leo's rectum and i know it wasn't the rankins.

it is called a prolapse. it can happen for numerous reasons. i think (with both of mine) that it was caused by overexcitement during mating season.

with the leo, the first prolapse i had ever seen, i soaked him in some sugar water a couple of times and it popped back in on its own. that was the last i ever saw of it regarding him. he went on to make many babies and everyone was happy.

with the rankins, it was much much worse than that. it was *ENORMOUS* and it was gross and no matter how much i soaked him nothing worked. it was too swollen. i had to take him to the emergency room at the animal hospital and they ended up having to amputate. it was one of his hemipenes, apparently they have two. the little guy is happy and healthy now, but he can no longer make any babies.

so you are saying that your leo had a prolapse of the rectum because it was impacted with this sand?

if it pops out again, i would try soaking in sugar water. if that doesn't work, it might be best to take your leo to a real vet. i think that if it happens once and you are able to get it back in then fine. but if it keeps happening, there is something really wrong and you probably need some professional medical assistance. you might even need a couple of sutures to hold it in place until it heals.

hope i helped,

lola

7. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

um dominick its a gecko and not a snake. Yeah i know im not gonna use sand now thats for sure.

8. MoLdYpOtAtOe

Did the same thing fr my pacman's prolapse:)

9. LeoGrl

LeoGrl Active Member

This was a gecko an he made it the night doing fine i changed the bedding an everything. will be calling ESU an giving them a piece of my mind. the only animal doc around that open for reptiles is Tufts an im sorry like **** i pay 125 just to walk in the door for a gecko. no to be mean but i aint rich... in my area theres not many who do reptiles an the ones that do are closed at that time an would have told me tufts . an with karen (porthole.lyn knows of it) i trust her with all my animals. she takes peoples animals in an cares for them. she soakes him in water an he actually pooped some ot an then she had to use a q-tip an mineral oil to get it in an i kept him in a tank alone last night hes doing fine going to wait to feed him though.

10. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

I dont know why companies insist on saying that calci-sand is safe and digestible.

11. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

The same reason why they continue to suggest people to use cedar and pine as bedding for rodent... they can make a lot of money selling it to people that buys a pet without knowing anything about it, so they just have to make them think it's good by putting a label that safe "safe for pets" and just cause the label says it, people think it's true.... It's all about the money..

12. lola

lola Elite Member

boston area vets...

for future reference:

angell memorial is the absolute BEST in the boston area. they are expensive, but they are the ones who preformed the amputation on my rankins dragon, and they did a top notch, excellent job.

the saugus animal hospital has an exotics vet, and although not as experienced, not bad either, and not as expensive.

the best of all, and even though it would probably be a drive, is my vet here in portsmouth, NH. Dr. Guerino is amazing with my animals, lizards and dog alike. and an office visit is only $14 (or $16, i can't remember.) he works at animal medical center.

just some suggestions...good luck with your leo...

lola

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.