This Disappears When Logged In

Leopard Gecko Not Eating Crickets

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LeopardGeckosRock, Sep 12, 2014.

1. I recently found that my leo was not eating crickets. Like, just staring at them and ignoring them. Usually he goes all out and chases them around his cage. Now he does nothing. Even today he saw one and immediately closed his eyes and turned away. He usually eats them after this, but some have gone uneaten for a while and are just running in his cage. It almost seems like he is depressed or something like that. If you have an answer to this, please help.

Thank You.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

How long have you had him? What's the set up like? How are you measuring temps/humidity? How old is he? Are the crickets appropriately sized for him?

Also, make sure you're feeding the crickets in there, since you aren't removing the uneaten ones. They can, and will, chow on your lizard if they're hungry.

3. I have had him since the beginning of January. He is in a 10 gallon glass terrarium with 2 hides and a water dish. I have 1 temp. gauge and 1 humidity gauge. Not exactly sure how old he is, but I got him when he was listed as a "baby". The crickets are no bigger than the width of his head, which I am told is the right size.

I just tried to tweezer feed him the crickets but he just licked it and then turned away.

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Have you tried anything other than crickets?

5. Not lately, but a few months ago I tried mealworms but he had fecal problems with them. Should I try them again?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What type of gauges are they and where are they located. Your temps may be too cool.

7. Humidity gauge and temperature gauge. Humidity one is in middle of terrarium, heat on the warm side of the terrarium near the bottom. Temp. is about 85 since we have had a coldfront lately in the low 60s.

8. Merlin

That still doesn't tell us what TYPE of gauges that they are. The common analog ones are garbage.

9. What kind of thermometer should I have? I have the analog ones.

10. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

Do you have the light in the middle or on one specific side?

11. I have it on one side to make a "warm" side and a "cool" side.

12. Merlin

Get a digital from Walmart or the hardware store. Most of us use the Acurite brand. The analogs are junk. You may be surprised to learn that the temps are not where you thought they were. I have personally seen the analogs off by 10-15 degrees!

13. Ok thanks!

What do you think is the cheapest place to get one?

14. Merlin

Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

15. What type of Acurite one do I get? Just a regular humidity/temp. gauge?

16. Merlin

17. Sounds good, thanks!