This Disappears When Logged In

Leopard Gecko Blind & Sick

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by LuvMyLeo, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

Okay, I was hoping someone could help me out...About Four months ago my Leo's eyes seemed to disappear into his skull..Yeah, It was really scary, but apparently a common problem caused by dust (in this case calcium) in the tank. I was always told to leave a thimble of calcium in the tank... So doctor visit #1 I went to a herp vet that gave me some eye drops and anti-bacterial for her eye, and spoke to me like a child. Apparently Cheese was getting blind so we were to wiggle a worm in her face for her to eat (??? but she's blind ???) Vet Visit #2 She gave us some stronger meds and suggested we feed her baby food...with no instructions on how much or how to do it...I went to Petco for a syringe and the associate there told me how to actually do it...Yup time for a new vet, and Petco was kind enough to give me reference to an actual herpetologist who did a great job describing the problem, but subscribed MUCH less food than the first doctor. So I gave her much less food, and now she's skin and bones skinny. It's getting worse too, because now it doesn't matter how much we feed her she remains skinny, and her energy level seems to be slowing down. Her eyes were getting better (one was remerging from her skull) and now they are getting worse again and I'm freaking out. I'm taking her to the vet again just made an appointment, but I guess my question is does anyone know what else I can do to help? I know there's a type of mushed up insect I rather feed her, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm starting to get REALLY worried about options running out.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Your best bet is to mush up the insects yourself. Its time for some serious gut loading. Have you found a new vet? Take a look here:
    Herp Vet Connection

And give us the basic run down. Tank size, temps, substrate, hides, cage decor, and supplements.

3. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

My new vet is a Dr. Mertz who was the last one I visited, he is well known around these parts for herp care. I was really happy with him, except the whole really cutting down on the food was odd, seemed to complicate the problem. I called for a re-appointment but he's out on vaca for a month and I have to wait for September so thanks a lot for the website I will be needing it until he gets back. Cheese is on all paper-towel substrate. His tank is 18x18x24. I guess like a 30-35 gallon tank. It opens up in the front for easy access. Temp is at around 95 F during the day and drops down to 80 at night. The vet said to try to keep in at 85 at all times which is difficult with how the heat accumulates into the room...Any suggestions would be appreciated. The other difficulty is that her roommates (2 beardies) have tanks that attribute to the heat. I can see how this may negatively effect the healing process, but would it keep her from gaining weight??? The doctor before Mertz said to keep the heat over 90.... :/ She has 3 hides of different heights, a coconut, a small rock and a tall rock. Also a log in the middle of the tank and for substrate paper towels as well as a few rocks scattered about. we removed the water dish because the doctor told us we should just soak her two times a week and so we do. We feed her repti-care calcium (the one in the pink bottle) and he said that was perfect didn't suggest anything else...I was wondering if we should give her anything else...Or if anything seems wrong with the habitat...

4. schlegelbagel

How are you heating the tank? Is it with lights or a UTH? They need belly heat to properly digest the food. Also are 3 sides of the tank covered to help her feel more secure? I would keep up with feeding her as much as she will eat.

When the temp is up to 95, is that the ambient temp or a basking temp?

5. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

OH! you know what you're on to something here...He previously had just a ceramic tile that would retain heat so I never got him a heating pad, but I removed them as soon as he got sick to sterilize the tank. I just threw some paper towels in there and didn't know that they need belly heat...Her tank is in a corner so she didn't get much action from the sides, but I'll make sure to cover it. What do you suggest for an under tank heater?? How do I use it, and how will that effect the heat? 95 is the ambient.

6. schlegelbagel

You may need to ditch the lamp (if you have one) and just use an under tank heater. You want a heater that takes up roughly 1/3 - 1/2 the floor of the tank. Just stick it to the bottom glass on the underside of the tank. Once its on, watch the temp and take heat measurements right on the floor of the tank.

Try sending a PM to Rich. I know he's in Mass and might be able to give you a good referral to a good herp vet.

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

You are getting great advice here. :)
    But that leo needs access to a water bowl at all times. (forgive me if I misunderstood the post)
    Just read over the caresheet again. Rich made a excellent one!

8. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

Thanks so much! I figured he needed access to water at all times, but I'm just following the doctor's orders. I'll put it back in tonight, and hopefully he'll feel more comfy.

9. Orca

Orca Elite Member

If you have to feed mashed up bugs or anything of that consistency, be sure to keep the mouth clean too because you don't want this to turn into mouth rot as well.
    Even if Cheese does lose her eye(s) (which I hope she doesn't!) they can still eat and be fine. My gecko has very diminished eye sight but is perfectly happy and healthy.
    And I would try to get as much food into her as possible. I'm very confused as to why the vet would say that when she is losing weight and this isn't a gastrointestinal problem.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The problem with eyes getting infected is that anatomically, the eyes are very close to the brain.

11. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

Hey guys. Thank you so much for your advice, but unfortunately I lost Cheese last night...I feel sick to my stomach; She was my first reptile. I tried the best I could for her, but couldn't save her. I don't have a yard to bury her in, and am scrambling to figure out what to do...I wonder if pet cemetery's will take in reptiles?? I don't just want to just let anyone take care of it because I would feel more comfortable knowing just where to visit her...Ugh I feel really really bad. Everyone has been so helpful here that I'm planning to give what I was going to pay for her vet visit to the site in her honor sometime this month....I always think that there was something more that I could do :(

12. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Sorry for your loss. :(
    Talk to the vet they can give you options...if you want the ashes or ideas on what to do.

13. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

Thank you. I still don't know what to do with her yet, but at least I have options now and I'll choose one by later on today. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.