This Disappears When Logged In

Leo Habitat

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by benjaminrogers, Mar 4, 2014.

1. I'm going to be getting a Leo or two and have them in a 20 gallon long aquarium. I'm looking for ideas on how to make this aquarium have a 'natural' habitat feel for teaching my daughter.

Everything I've read says that tile is best but what else can be done in the aquarium to make it look 'deserty' for a Leo?

Thanks,

Ben

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I when had mine what I done was I took the rim off the top of the aquarium and measured the length and width of it and then cut a piece of plywood and put braces under it and then cut two or three holes out of it and made them big enough to put a couple shrubs in it and then placed the slate tiling around them and then got a few medium sized pieces of flag stone and stacked them around the cage to create a few hides and one important thing you will need to do is create a moist hide to help aid in shedding...... hope this gives you a few ideas

3. Jay, what was the purpose of the plywood and braces? Not sure I'm quite grasping what you did there.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

it makes it so the ground is risen and you can put potted plants in there and it looks more natural because the pot is below ground level

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just remember that "deserty" doesn't necessarily mean loose sand. Their feet are not designed for that. Look at it more as arid country with hardpacked soil and rock. Large flat stones stacked with openings making little caves will look good.
    Maybe these will give you some ideas
    Leopard Gecko Enclosures - Reptile Enclosures - Reptile Forums | Herp Center
    Bearded Dragon Enclosures - Reptile Enclosures - Reptile Forums | Herp Center

6. Absolutely Merlin. They live on the rocks and not the sand. If there is one thing I've learned is that sand is bad. Have you guys used Excavator?

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I know a few people who use escavator, that was the next thing I was going to suggest..... great product..... my buddy uses it for his savvy

8. Is this the type of slate that would be used as substrate?

Slate Floor Tile

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

With tiles any kind will work as long as it has a rough texture to it. Either one of those products looks like it should work just make sure to feel it before you purchase.

10. Thanks Thala. Any particular type of silicone to use?

11. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

aquarium grade

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can use regular door and window silicone as long as it is 100% silicone.
    You want to steer clear of the kitchen and bath silicone as it contains chemicals to inhibit mold and mildew.

13. Thanks, Merlin!! I've seen habitat structures made from pink foam and excavator. What's your feeling on these?

14. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

They are quite nice, but they require a lot of work. Take a look at this enclosure. Slate floor with undertank heater of the left side. A nice desert background and some fake plants. Simple and classy :)

photo.jpg

photo (2).jpg

15. Are you referring to the work to build them?

16. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

Yep - the foam insulation is usually used with a concrete-type product. Unless you are very handy and creative, you may not be happy with the outcome.

17. The funny thing is I sculpt foam for my model trains all the time. I've seen some where they just faint the foam instead of plastering. That worries me a little bit. Might use plaster and not paint it directly.

18. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

If you do foam sculpting - yours will probably turn out great. it's the newbies who spend tons of time and money and sadly end up with a pathetic end-product. I'd search around the forum a bit for others who have posted pics of their foam-sculpting as well as the products used as some are safer than others. Good luck!

19. thanks man!!