This Disappears When Logged In

LED Lights?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by CodyW, Jun 22, 2012.

1. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Does anyone have any experience or expertise? They were just coming on to the market when I took a step back. I know they've come a long way. I'm interested in their low operating cost to output ratio.

I don't need UVB but would like it if it is possible. I also don't want to spend $300.

I've seen some DIY for boards where you put in the lighting configuration you desire but don't know if I'm trying to get that involved.

2. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

LED's will provide lighting, but no UVB or heat, so it depends on what you need. I have under cabinet style lights over my salamander because I want lighting, but no heat. For that it works great.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

This might help a bit.
    Compare: LED Lights vs CFL vs Incandescent Lighting Chart
    We use them a bit at work for cabinet lighting. They can be confusing to buy if you need to run transformers and what not.
    Much cheaper than they used to be but price can be all over the place as well.

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Mike, that is a start. I probably should have been more specific to my needs: Tropical vivarium heavily planted with a 24" depth. I wanted to make sure I'd have the penetration to the bottom of the tank as I don't know how far they'll reach.

I know that they have bulbs covering virtually the entire light spectrum.

Might have to do it myself as I can't find what I'm looking for.

5. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

Probably one of the largest online sources of information on lighting will be marijuana forums. I know there are LEDs that produce UVB now, but I'm not sure how expensive they are or how they would compare to the fluorescent lights' output.

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Really? I have yet to hear of these. I know lightyourreptiles carries some really nifty LED bulbs, which while expensive will probably provide better light quality at higher frequencies for a longer overall period of time compared to cfl and incandescent lighting all the while using less energy.

7. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

8. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Alright, research papers, now were getting somewhere!

I know that UV bulbs are available, I don't know if much research has been done with their life expectancy (since they are a few years old its probably too soon to know anyways).

It looks like I am going to piece together my own system as the current setups are geared either to reef tanks or straight grow bulbs with no concern for aesthetics.

9. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

I think most diodes are rated for 50k hours, but this number generally refers to the length of time before the output level drops by 30%. I don't know if the UV output would be effected differently than the brightness of the diodes over that time period. Also, the nm output of a diode can shift over time, especially with lower bin LEDs. This would be very bad for UV emitting diodes as we're looking for a very specific range. All of this is for older diodes though, I'm not sure how much of this has been corrected in the past couple years.

What sort of light are you looking to build? I've seen a couple pretty decent DIY guides for flood type bulbs and for panel setups, I'll look for the links to them if you'd like. Also, some companies now are making LEDs in fluorescent type bulbs, which could prove more useful. I have no idea what the useful output level at a given distance is of commercially available UV LEDs is, that'd be important to know before you start on building a light.

10. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

The biggest thing that I am looking for is low profile, high output and low draw. The panel setup is what I am leaning towards. UVB isn't necessary but if possible I would like to provide it. Ultimately this is for a hood for an exo-terra 18x18x24 enclosure that may ultimately be turned into a paludarium.
    I've seen some kits on ebay and then the diodes slide in, I don't mind some DIY but I'm definitely not trying to start soldering (mostly because I'm not good at soldering).

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I'm not sure how low profile you're looking to go but check these and these out. You could used either or in conjunction with (if need be) a t5 HO UVB or non-UVB fluorescent.

12. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Matt, thank you for those links, that is what I am looking for. I really like the light bars but am worried about their spread since they are so narrow. The 13w screw ins are pretty neat but a little bulky looking. I'm looking to build a really small hood and still have room for some plumbing (misters and a water pump). Seeing as this lighting is for a exo-terra I think that both are the fitting. Although I was leaning towards plug and play i'm not starting to think more along the lines of DIY but those prices are hard to beat.

However, the build is on hold as I spent a little too much money today at another trade show for another new hobby.

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Honestly I would just use a t5 HO fixture, which will provide a lot of good light and a relatively low profile.

14. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Go on ebay and search for E-27 L.E.D. ... those are LED bulbs that screw into ordinary light fixtures.