This Disappears When Logged In

Leaf Litter

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Toadie78, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

For my fire skink Togo i am thinkin of gathering some leaf litter from outside what would be the best way to sanitize this????

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

As long as you get it from somewhere that isn't polluted (free of insecticides, pesticides, car waste, and runoff) a simple rinse should do it. If you want you might try baking it, really low. Magnolia leaves have the longest life in the viv, and I think they look the best.

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hmm, yeah, a good long rinse (not a soak) might do it. You'll have to change them often though or they'll start decomposing, especially in Togo's humid environment.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would bake it in the oven to make sure you aren't bringing any little nasties in with you. About 250f for 10-15 minutes should do it.

5. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

i have decided not to do this i got some other ideas..

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I just had to chuckle while reading how us herpers "bake" in the oven. I made a tree stand for my Leos a few weeks ago out of 6" diameter logs so I had to bake them for a few hrs to make sure they were clean, my wife thought I was nuts,,,,actually came into the kitchen and said "whatcha making ?? smells good"

7. Merlin

Hmmmm,.... Ken would this be in comparison to OTHER things you have cooked? ;)

If you think wood smells funny you ought to try dirt! A few years ago I was experimenting with making my own potting soil using outside garden soil. I thought sterilizing it in the oven would be a good idea. Boy what a stink! :eek: And it hung in the air for days!
    I won't be doing THAT again!

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Merlin....didn't anyone ever tell you what baked worms and grubs smell like?? LOL

The things we do for our herps.... ;)

9. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

Yeah u can say that again Jem thats for sure. I was drying out the substrate for Togo and it smelled really good (i spilled a big cup of water in his cage by accident.)

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I take offence to that Merlin.....I used to be a chef in New York,,,,classic French trained,,,LOL

11. Merlin

My humblest apologies then my good Chef Kenman!! :p ;)
    I'm a fair cook myself but there are still occassions when things don't quite as intended!

12. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

OK Ken....

When are you gonna come and cook for me? lol....I am waiting...Lyn

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Mmm, birch log in bolognese sauce :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.