This Disappears When Logged In

Latest Addition: Avicularia Versicolor Sling

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by SpidaFly, May 13, 2012.

1. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

I've loved spiders all my life. I'm the kind of guy that sees a spider in the house and leaves it alone because it's probably eating the insects that actually annoy me. I seriously had some little native spider living outside my bedroom door for like a month and it would occasionally annoy me with its webs but I left it alone, and sometimes watched it. Pretty cool. Until my wife found it and squished it. I was kinda sad actually.

Anyway, as a kid I could never convince my mom to let me keep a tarantula. Then I moved away from home and soon met the girl that I would marry... yeah, she's terrified of arachnids of any kind. So I've spent my 30 years arachnid-deprived. Until today! :D

She recently said she wanted to get over her spider phobia and she actually thought that if I kept a T she might be able to work toward that. (In fact, while earning her Masters degree in clinical psychology she learned that Rosies are used for immersion therapy for arachnophobes. Cool huh?) So anyway I hope this is actually a good idea for her, but... since the care of the T is 110% my responsibility, I can keep my new little guy in my room at the head of my bed, across the house from her *, so she doesn't worry (hopefully).

Pics!

What a beautiful blue:
    http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8874/img2131ez.jpg

Still inside the vial Kenthebugguy was keeping them in, though I dropped in a plastic leaf to give some more surface area. Poor little thing seems a bit scared after the 2 hour car ride, and hasn't eaten the small cricket I dropped in there yet. I'll remove it tomorrow and wait a day incase it's about to molt:
    http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3699/img2133de.jpg

When wake up this afternoon I'll be building a humid chamber for it so I can keep it at 70% humidity hopefully, and use whatever means necessary to keep it around 80F. I'll post updates when that's done. :)

* No, we're not weird or anything, I work a night shift and she gets up early in the morning so we have different bedrooms. Works out fine, a lot of people (including her parents) give me **** for it, but we've been happy together for almost 12 years so... hey, something's working!

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a beautiful little guy!

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I don't like spiders, but that one is amazing!! Almost looks like a toy someone glittered lol!!
    I have a few "pet" wild spiders lol! They are welcome to live in my home, aslong as they stay off my face and out of the jets in my jaquzzi tub(nothing like having a bath with a dead spider...)

4. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Built the T a new container yesterday with proper climbing surfaces. It took down a cricket that was surprisingly large, I guess the whole pinhead/FFF thing is overblown?

He has a bit of a web built today too!

Picture: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4381/img2155zr.jpg

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Adorable!! I've been terrified of spiders all my life but this year I am FORCING myself to get over my phobia! It's hard so good on her!!

6. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I'm jealous!

7. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

That's an amazing looking spider.. Congrats!!!!

8. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Strange: Avic Versi fasted for TWO FULL WEEKS. I was kinda freakin' out but I forced myself to remain calm, assuming he was getting ready to molt. I kept doing humidity routine and moving him between his day and night spots to maintain temperatures. (I mean, come on, this is my first T and I've been keeping reptiles since I was a child - this is a whole new game for me!)

After two weeks it did indeed molt, and very quickly. I was a bit scared - I left a cricket for it when I left for work because I knew my wife was going to be home soon and I left her a text asking her to remove the cricket if it wasn't eaten. She said that she didn't see the cricket or the T... I'm not sure why she didn't see either, but when I got home from work the cricket was (thankfully) on the dirt and the fresh newly molted T was up in its web. I was very very very very lucky.

Moral of the story is: if someone doesn't really understand precisely why you want to keep spider(s), if they don't share your fascination, don't trust them to take care of your spider. Doesn't matter how close they are to you, doesn't matter how much you trust them in every other matter.

9. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

I love t's ! beatuiful spider you got there, what species is it?