This Disappears When Logged In

Larger Plants for a Larger Cage?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by rrcoolj, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

What are some good hardy large tropical plants I can put in my tegu cage?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The best plants for a big lizard like a Tegu are the plastic/silk ones, I don`t know the cost in the States for these, but I can buy a 3ft tall cheese plant for example for around £10 ($15), a big fern even less, and many other types to choose from. I`m sure there would be some on ebay from different companies.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Just go to walmart or michaels if you want fake plants. You can try live plants, can't guarantee your tegu won't smash them up. Lowes has a great selection. So does home depot. Pretty much stay away from plants with red leaves and you will be fine.

4. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

I actually wanted to try live plants. I have heard a couple of success stories with live plants and tegus so I wanted to try my hand at it. But fake plants is always a good backup.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They aren`t much of a climbing lizard, but still it would be a shame if he destroyed the live plants, and he will be quite a heavy animal fairly soon.

6. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Yea I guese your right. Maybe wood and rocks is a better decor to use.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You might try a large ficus. If you buy one of the thicker trunked ones and lop off the top, leave it sitting outside it will sprout branches on the remaining trunk.
    But that is still no guarantee that the tegu won't destroy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.