This Disappears When Logged In

Large Lump On Baby's Head

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by Kristof, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

Hello everyone! Today I caught a baby alligator lizard, but it has a large lump on its head. I was wondering if anyone knew what it could be. Thanks in advance!
    photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Clearer pictures are definitely needed. It could be a simple "bump," but it may be a deformity or parasite.

3. Kristof

Thanks for the input. Hopefully these are clearer.
    photo 2 (1).JPG photo 1 (1).JPG

4. Kristof

UPDATE:

So I went to check on him and my other alligator lizard (He/She is the same size as this one) And i saw that whatever it was "Popped". There was some clear liquid coming out, so i took a piece a toilet paper and dabbed it. A little blood came out. I have attached pictures so hopefully someone can tell me what to do. He is doing fine from the looks of things, he's moving around like he was before so he seems alright.

photo 2 (2).JPG photo 1 (2).JPG

5. infantry492

infantry492 Active Member

that is very strange, Id recommend maybe putting some peroxide or neosporin on the open wound. Maybe try looking through his tank to see if you can find a parasite to see if that's what it was

6. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

First thing that came to mind, "Look At The Big Brain On Brad" :) Pulp Fiction Reference.

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That appears to be a bacterial infection, or abscess. You are going to need to get that little guy to the vet so the abscess can be properly lanced and drained. Substrate needs to be removed immediately and replaced with something non particle such as paper towels or news paper. Your little friend may need a round of antibiotics as well. Since he is wild caught you can bring him to a wildlife rehabilitation center for treatment and eventual release.
    Edit to add:
    Do NOT use peroxide on this lizards wound and neosporin is not necessary, you need to let the abscess drain until you can get him into the vet.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    murrindindi likes this.
  8. infantry492

infantry492 Active Member

Good thing you mentioned that. Obviously reptiles are different from cats and dogs, but I thought that may have been an option. Good to know it isn't.

9. Kristof

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll make sure to get him to the vet ASAP.

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you snap a better photo of the wound? Are you housing the two lizards together?

11. Kristof

Yes I am housing two lizards together, they are from the same clutch so it should be fine right? Also, I just dropped him off at the vet so I can't get any pictures right now. When I get him back should i separate them?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, yes you need to house them separately whatever the infection is.

13. Kristof

Alright I will get his habitat started.

murrindindi likes this.