This Disappears When Logged In

Lacerta Agilis

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Jay DeMore, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I just had Petsmart (yes petsmart) drop off a Russian Lacerta that they claim has a vitamin deficiancy and could not be sold. They believe it may have been in a fight with another lizard (komodo dragon from the look of the guy). I am going to attempt to nurse him back to health but there is not alot of info on the web about them. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here's what I started, warm soak and soft food (they are insectavorious), uvb and good temps.
    this is a link as to what they are supposed to look like and the pic is what he looks like, emaciated and dehydrated, 2 abcesses and a missing eye.
    He actually ate a little repto-min and has moved around some.
    http://www.herp.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/LacerAgili.htm

Attached Files:

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

:eek: Jay, I comend you and wish you the best of luck. My main concern would be the abcesses, does he a vet appointment? Anything that is scabbed/open I would apply a triple antibiotic, and for the eye, depending on when the injury took place, I would apply the eye cream they use for babies, but you might want to check about that one, its just a thought.

Umm to get him rehydrated and a good micro and macro nutrient load can be supplemented with some Ensure or pedialite.

These are just some ideas that I had, best of luck!

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

He actually came from the Banfield (petsmart) vets office. The wounds seem minor with no weeping. A pedialyte/mealworm shake is on the menu for this evening but I can't find my syringe (plastic) at the moment so I may have to drive to the store for another. I must give Petsmart a thumbs up for doing the right thing and sending him my way instead of just letting him die.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Jay, are you certain you have a Lacerta agilis (sand lizard)? Yours looks fairly similar, but he has such a pointy nose. Sand lizards have a pretty blunt nose compared to most lacertids. They're also endangered. Many lacertids look a lot alike. I was just trying to make sure, cause with the blunt nose and the fact that Lacerta agilis is endangered, maybe you've got a different lizard. It would certainly help explain why its so hard to find captive care requirements in the little guy. Basically all the sights I've found so far have either been about hotographing lizards, in the wrong language, or about saving the endangered Lacerta agilis. Here's about the best thing I've found so far:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/283.shtml

I'm not ruling out the possibility of him being a sand lizard, but I wanna take a look at some other lacertids to see if I can find some other possible species he could be. In the mean time, I hope he stays alive!

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Matt, he is pretty beat up and emaciated, the color patterns match the Lacerta, I just want to pull the little guy through this than I will worry about exactly what he is. So far he has had water and some reptomin but thats about it, I put him under a Reptisun 5.0 to get some uvb flowing. I know his right eye is gone, and now I'm not sure he can see out of his left. However I'm stubborn and hate to lose so we are going to give it the best care we can.

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm sure the mealie/pedialyte shake will help a lot (sounds appetizing :p). Other than that though, I don't know what to tell you about temps and humidity and the like. Obviously not tropical, but I'll se what I can come up with.

7. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

aww i hope the little guy makes it
    it could be a russian wall lizard maybe?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Sad news guys. I came home from school today and the poor little guy was gone, at least he had 2 days of someone caring for him.

9. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

So sorry to hear that Jay :(

You did the best you could.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry Jay!
    I guess he was just too far gone by the time you got hold of him.

11. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

AWWW thats too bad Jay....

I commend you for being there for the little guy tho...not everyone would do that.....Lyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.