This Disappears When Logged In

Ky-Lin Sketch

Discussion in 'Childrens Pythons' started by DarkMagician207, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

well i started on a piece of Smallgrayfox's Ky-Lin today. so far i just have a kind of sketch going on. its going to be a hectic weekend again this week but i am hoping that maybe i will be able to work on it some more. i'm not sure whether i want to do a black and white or a color piece or what i want to use. i still have lots of work to do on it but so far i think its coming along. i put in some scales at the head and put where some of the markings are. another thing i'm not sure of is if i'm going to do scales over the entire body or just make hints every now and then that there are scales on the rest of the head and neck. any suggestions or comments? i would gladly like to know what everyone thinks. :)

here's the pic i'm using as reference. i got permission from Smallgrayfox to use it. thanks! its my favorite pic of this snake!
    [​IMG]

my favorite part about this snake is the eyes. they're wonderful. :D
    [​IMG]

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very nice,,,,such talanted members we have.

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Great work, cant wait to see the finished result :D

4. DarkMagician207

what does anyone think about the scales? should i cover the entire snake or just put a few in some spots to suggest that the snake is covered with them?

5. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Nice job so far, well done. I think the odd spot to imply scales would really suit the piece, if you put scales all over it might look too fussy and take away from the beauty of the piece? Be sure to show us the finished version. :)

6. DarkMagician207

i was thinking that as well and i want to make the snake the main part so i also agree that implied scales would look great. i'll have to mess with it to see what looks good. i will definitely be posting the finished piece and probably what it looks like as it progresses. not sure when i will have a chance to work on it next. maybe sunday. :)

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh wow! That's fantastic so far! I'd love to see as many "in progress" pics as you can post. I think no matter what you decide to do with the scales, it's going to be beautiful!

My husband and daughter have a definite difference of opinion regarding the scales. They're both very artistically inclined (unlike me *sniffle* :p ), and they each have distinct opinions. My husband is into photorealism, and thinks the scales drawn in wouldn't look any more busy than the scales on the actual snake, and therefore would look beautiful. My daughter, on the other hand, agrees with you and Bitis about implied scales.

I just think it's going to be wonderful no matter what you do...you're very talented! :)

8. DarkMagician207

thanks. i couldn't wait until you saw this thread yourself so i could find out what you thought. i'm glad you like it. i will take pics as it progresses. i look forward to hopefully posting new pics on sunday if i get to work on it. i think it will be fun and challenging to work on this piece. glad you posted that pic. :D

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Good stuff :D Yeah, photorealism is my main style too, so I'd personally put all the scales in. If you put them in lightly, then add the shading and reflections like in the photo, they'll give it more than an implication of scales, they'll give it more texture. If you don't like your results, you can always erase it and go with the implied scales. Another reason to always draw lightly at first, and go darker once you're sure you like it. If you go too dark at first its harder to erase should you change your mind.

10. DarkMagician207

after reading the thread and all the answers i've gotten so far i was thinking about lightly putting in the rest of the scales. its definitely a good idea to do light work then go in darker when you have what results you want. i've learned that the hard way over the years while drawing lol. :)

11. smallgrayfox

I like photorealism best too and think it would be great with all the scales, but I still think no matter what you end up choosing, it's going to be fantastic. I love it already! :)

12. DarkMagician207

i'll probably be putting in the rest of the scales a little lighter so that i know they are there. it will probably help me with the rest of Ky-Lin's markings and the shine from the reflection. as far as a background i'm thinking of maybe using the colors on the background from the photo but i'm not sure about putting the words of the places in. i'm not sure if it will make the pic look too busy or not. i'm still in the deciding stages at this point. :)

13. smallgrayfox

This is so exciting! :D

14. DarkMagician207

okay finally i was able to work on the pic a little more for about an hour today. i added some base colors. i marked some areas where the colors changed. i did put in every scale but then i erased it again so they showed up only lightly while i work on the color. hope to work on it a little more this weekend before i start my new job. :D once again comments and suggestions are welcome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/DarkMagician207/Ky-Lincolor2.jpg

15. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Very nice!Will you make the colours stronger?What's the red thing underneath her?

16. DarkMagician207

yes i will be making the colors stronger. this is still an in progress work that i will continue to work on whenever i get the opportunity. the red underneath her is the start of whatever is under her in the original pic of Ky-Lin i'm using posted at the beginning of this thread. i'm guessing its some type of orb or reflective surface. thats kind of what it looks like. lol :)

17. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

If you please allow me to make a suggestion about your work? As a painter myself I notice such things,and I hope you don't mind me giving you a tip: As I just seen the original photograph,I noticed that the space between the eye and the beginning of the neck is too short on your drawing; I always take the pencil or paintbrush and use it as a meassure,f.ex.; if you take the size from nose to eye with your pencil,and then see how many times it fits between the eye and neck,that way you will get the propotions better,and with this technic,no matter how big you gonna make a painting,it will always look well propotioned!
    Portrait painters use that technic also ; they meassure with the end of their brush the eye and usually the space between the eye should be exact the lenght of an eye (with most people,anyway) and also the length of an eye is the same width as the nose!
    I hope I could explain it to you ok!
    Always look for a smaller part of a photograph,and take it from there!
    You are very talented. Have you ever painted in oil or acrylics?

18. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

And another tip: never paint what you are not sure it is! It doesn't have to be exactly what's on the photograph!Use your own imagination;try put a branch underneath her,with maybe some leaves on it or something!

19. DarkMagician207

your explanation is fine. i've been drawing since i was little and have a fine arts background so i know what you're talking about. i don't always have success with proportions so sometimes i'll admit i don't use them. i just draw for the sake of drawing and don't always like to follow rules.

i have painted in acrylics and every now and then i do. its enjoyable. thats what kind of paint i use when i do my wood pieces (they're also posted on here in the general discussion forum). i notice what you mean and thats why i've been working light so its easier to erase and adjust things. your suggestion for a tree branch like background sounds like it would fit great. i'll have to work with that idea when i get the time. i don't mind comments or suggestions thats why i ask for them. :)

20. smallgrayfox

Oh! That's absolutely fantastic so far! I love it! You're really capturing Ky-Lin in a work of art! Beautiful! I'm so excited!!!:D

The reddish brown thing underneath her, believe it or not, was my watch :rolleyes:
    Here's the original view, before I blew it up to see her eye more closely:
    [​IMG]

Dark Magician, you are extremely talented! I'm loving every step you're sharing with us. Thank you!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.