This Disappears When Logged In

Kukri Snakes Hatching

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by hans, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hans

hans Member

A warm shout-out to you guys here.

Just want to share some pictures of my kukri eggs (Oligodon fasciolatus) hatching. These guys belong to the Oligodon genus, and look quite similiar to hognoses.
    They're very easy to care for and can feed exclusively on chicken eggs in captivity, though in the wild they will feed on reptile eggs, skinks and other snakes as well.
    What keepers of tropical snakes have to be aware of, however, is their insane teeth. When and if a kukri gets you, its razor-sharp posterior teeth can carve a nice slit into your fingers and cause very profuse bleeding.

An example of an adult Oligodon fasciolatus. This is the rarer red phase, but I don't have pictures on hand to show a normal now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the kukris that hatched yesterday.

Taking its first peek into the world.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To give you an idea on how tiny these neonates are.
    [edit: apparently the zoom and angle makes them appear bigger in this picture. For a more accurate depiction, use the picture below]
    [​IMG]
    Neonates appear to have some red on their ventrals, but this is not evident in WC juvenile specimens.
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    hans

2. JasonL

JasonL Member

Wow the red ones look great! On a recent trip to Thailand, I found a couple of Kukri's, they are great little snakes. Well done.

Attached Files:

3. hans

hans Member

That's a cool find! It looks to me like Oligodon joynsoni. Which place in Thailand did you spot it?

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

They're really cool! Thanks for sharing. I love baby snake pics :)

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Awesome looking snakes. Thanks for sharing.

6. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Wow very nice. What do you feed the hatchlings though? I'm pretty sure they can't eat chicken eggs haha.

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Great looking snakes. I wish they had them here in the States.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Very pretty, love the pattern on the head.

9. JasonL

JasonL Member

They were in the mountains on the Western side of Chaing Mai, as we don't keep exotics in Aust. I had never seen them before, I knew they were Kukris and was aware of their teeth, but am not sure of the sub species. They were pretty placid really, took some annoying (positioning for pics)before they got narky and even then, their stikes are slow. Feed them on eggs eh?? I wish Aussie snakes were so easy...

10. hans

hans Member

Thanks guys, but feed on chicken eggs they do, even at this size. But of course, you break it and pour out the yolk onto a petri dish first for them to slurp up.

The location you mentioned should confirm it as Oligodon joynsoni, as it is within their range. Really cool find, I'll say it again! I think aggressiveness may vary with different Oligodon species. I have an Oligodon signatus which is rather placid. The fasciolatus, on the other hand, can have an insane rate of striking, especially with juveniles.

Cheers,
    hans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.