This Disappears When Logged In

Kudzu Vine

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by kerryc, Jun 17, 2011.

1. kerryc

kerryc Member

Hi Everyone,

I've searched the forums here and can't seem to find any information on this vine. I'd like to use it in my Chinese water dragon habitat. Since it has such a nice shape I'm also thinking of using it with other animals such as pac man frogs and my tokay geckos. Does anyone know if it is safe for these animals?

Thanks!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

From what I have read, it's a very aggressive plant, growing a foot a day and about 60 feet in a season! I'm not sure if its toxic or not!
    Pueraria montana is the botanical name!

There is a link to plant that are safe; It mentions that this plant is safe for humans, goats and cows but has not been proven safe for reptiles;
    Always best to play it safe and not use it!

http://www.anapsid.org/resources/edible.html

3. ScreamSalvation

ScreamSalvation Active Member

I can definately attest to it's aggressiveness. It was brought down here to Mississippi to help stop erosion, it stopped a lot of erosion but became a menace itself. You can find huge areas of land covered by it and it spreads quickly.

I've heard of people using it to take jams and jellies, never have eatten any myself.

4. kaianuanu

kaianuanu Elite Member

down here in the south those things are everywhere, i have to battle it so it wont block all sight of my fence. But if you ask anyone about a 'kudzu they'll have no idea they're known as air potatoes locally. I'd be glad to send you some if you pay for shipping.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just because something is safe for humans to eat does not mean its safe for reptiles.
    And considering the growth rate of Kudzu it would be more work than you really want just trying to keep it from over growing your enclosure.
    I vote no.