This Disappears When Logged In

Ksb Owners: What Substrate Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by skelly98, Aug 4, 2012.

1. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i have mine on sand now, but i read that it can cause impaction. what do you use? and should i feed in the enclosure or out? getting lots of conflicting advice on what to do for my snake..

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

and have you ever had an impaction with it?

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Why don't you ask a breeder! Go to Sand Boa Morphs . com and see what their care sheet says,

4. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i did go to their website, and they said sand was o.k, but i read on other breeders websites that sand was bad.... so i'm confused.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

wish I could help but I 've never owened one :( good luck!

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

If you are worried try carefresh bedding!

7. SSSnakes

SSSnakes New Member

As with all herpers - each has their preferred way of doing things - causing others to say they don't know what they are doing. I have seen KSBs on both sand and aspen. I prefer aspen because my research shows that the "sand" in the name is misleading, and that they don't do well on sand. I always see KBSs in sand at the petshops - and very little of it (not enough for them to cover themselves). If you want to play it safe, put sand in 1/2 of the enclosure (long ways, so sand is in cool and hot area) and aspen on the other 1/2 - see where you find him more often, and use that substrate. Research told me that they don't need anything other than their substrate, but my guy said different - he likes a rock on each end to climb on at night.

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I always had deep substrate with my colony. Most of the time I used CareFresh but have used just about everything available through the years. Carefresh ended up being alot more convienient as i used it for my Kings and mice, getting it in 55gal sizes helped in that LOL. I had at least 4" depth in all tanks, ya it took longer to find them but they where alot happier and I think they enjoyed playing hide and seak... little buggers :p This also gave them a sence of well being (from what I could gather) as they never really minded my scooping them up fron underneathe them, Trying to pick them up from above in a pinching type movement never ended well for ether of us :p

9. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

My KSB has been on sand and is just fine with it. I always feed him outside the enclosure and this has never been a problem for me considering he isn't a shy feeder and I have always been able to do this. To allow it to hold burrows, I mix it 1/3 sand and 2/3 aspen (Topping it with a couple centimeters of sand to make it look more attractive) and he hasn't a single problem yet (I just took him to the vet yesterday and he has a clean bill of health). You do have to be careful though because bacteria can very easily grow in it to large numbers, especially if it's constantly warm and wet.

10. SilverFox13

SilverFox13 Member

When I first got my KSB, the store he came from had him on sand. I however moved him into 3-4in deep aspen and he made a total and 100% turn around. Eats regularly and color looks great. When the store has him on sand his color was dull, and he hadn't eaten in 4 months.
    Now, I have decided to switch all my KSBs to EcoEarth from Aspen due to me having a bad batch of Aspen that had mites in it (I'm still trying to get rid of the mites with my BCIs and BCOs). For the EcoEarth I bought the 8qt bag and put it in the tank and let it dry out for a few days before putting my KSBs in it. They live happily in it, and shed perfectly.
    I always feed out of the tank.