This Disappears When Logged In

Kingsnake Not Eating

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by mrsrommel, Sep 30, 2013.

1. mrsrommel

mrsrommel Member

I have a 1-year-old California Kingsnake that I have had since June. Nagini has always been a very good eater, eating 1 small mouse weekly and has never missed a meal. The last time he/she ate (I do not know the sex), was 9/15/2013. I feed snakes regularly at my place of employment so I know it is not uncommon for a snake to go a week or more without eating; however, Nagini has never missed a meal in the year that I have been exposed to him/her, not even during a shed; therefore I am slightly concerned. He/she is in a 20-gallon tank (planning to upgrade to a 40 soon) with temps on the cool side between 70 and 76, warm side is about 80 to 85, except over the warm side hide, which ranges between 84 to 90. I am using a 40-watt blue light on the warm side during the day and a 40-watt black light for night. I have an undertank heater, which brings the temp inside the warm side hide to about 97. Cool side hide is about 72. His/her overall appearance and demeanor have not changed. Eyes are bright and clear, scales are shiny and black, extremely active. I cannot see any thing physically wrong with this snake. No mites. No ticks. I am at a loss as to why Nagini has stopped eating. I have tried warming the mouse in chicken broth, but to no avail. I can tell you that I live in the Northeast United States, so temps have been fluctuating a bit lately. I should add that I did not use lighting during the summer as it was warm enough not to need them, but the undertank heater was on during the summer.

If anyone can give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

2. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

Hello mrsrommel, welcome to the forum. I also live in the northeast. Sometimes my Cali King will refuse food for a while in the fall or winter for a while. Also, sometimes when he is about to shed, for about 10 - 12 days, he refuses food, but not always?!

Last year, when my female corn reached maturity, (housed separately but in the same room) he went on a hunger strike because it was breeding season.

In essence, there are many reasons he may refuse food for a while, they make sense to your snake, but not necessarily to us.

Perhaps give him a little soak in the tub. Room temp. water, maybe 3/4 in. on the drain side, mine likes to swim a bit, but likes to rest in the shallow. It will give him a bit of exercise & if he's about to shed, he'll enjoy the moisture. (he also might foul the water) obviously then,he's done with his bath. :-"

Hope this is helpful, basically try not to worry. Snakes can go for quite a while without food without starving.

Also, snakes in a store for example, are usually maintained at a set temperature & lighting is controlled by a timer, or by store hours. Daylight in New England in the fall is intermittently bright depending on the cloud cover & shorter daylight hours. He could be adjusting to all that as well.

Warm Regards

3. mrsrommel

mrsrommel Member

Thank you for your help. I am quite certain I am just worried about nothing, but better to ask than be sorry.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you using to measure the temperatures? If the temperatures are fluctuating too much that could be the culprit.

5. mrsrommel

mrsrommel Member

I am using a zoomed reptitemp, plus I have digital thermometers and hygrometers within the tank