This Disappears When Logged In

Kingsnake Aggresive?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Boaboy, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Boaboy

Boaboy Active Member

Hi i was just wondering if kingsnakes are aggresive.....i am getting a 2 year old california king thursday and i aint paying nuthin i am taking him in because the lady cant seem to put any wieght on him?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep apparently they are demon snakes. The only ones I have ever come across have been tame and easy to handle but I think they were the exception as many other owners have stated they are demon snakes.

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Demon snakes!? I'm going to have to disagree. Maybe a little hyper active but no more than some rat snakes. They do have a very strong prey drive however. They are all individuals and attitude will vary with each snake.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Demon snakes might be a little unfair lol. Some can be a bit defensive, but most of the ones I've encountered have been pretty chill, and a good portion of those were actually wild kings I found in the desert.

5. Boaboy

Boaboy Active Member

The lady i am gettng the cali king from said that it it was turned mean by her brother and bit him and was consricting his arm but her brother was being rough with in the video so i aint supriesed......thanxs for the info and i think that since it was only fed once a month or so i am going to feed her weekly ....hopefully that will make its attitude a little better.....love and care fixes all :)

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I think biting and constricting together would be considered a feed response. Sounds underfed and hungry as heck.

7. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Good luck. Most can be calmed with consistent gentle handling, but there are those few who never calm Down.

8. Boaboy

Boaboy Active Member

i believe that in time she will calm .......and does anybody have an idea of wat i should name HER? I cant think of a good name

9. Levi

Levi Member

I have never met a kingsnake that did not warm up to me pretty quick. My first one was a newborn when I got him. He bit at me a lot until I picked him up. He instantly was ok once he realized I wasn't a going to kill him. Now, I can pick him up anytime without worrying about it, and he is the one I let other people hold when they want to because I know he won't bite them.

10. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Kingsnakes compared to other snakes such as Corns and Ball Pythons are as a species, more likely to bite. They are constantly hungry which I'm sure plays a role in it. Like all species, you may find one that is the most docile creature ever or you may find one that would rather bite you than look at you.

11. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

My cal king is great! He was passed around a couple times before he came to me. The guy I got him from was afraid of him, said he got bit a lot. I just picked him right up, no problem. He musked for about a month or so when I would pick him up. But after that, no problems. Anyone can hold him. No musking either.
    I have a young variable king who would try to swallow my pinky finger when he was a tot. (growth spurt) I increased prey size & he is a very mellow snake.
    Good lick with your rehab. I'm sure your girl is already grateful she's with you!

12. i have a mexican black kingsnake and hes the most sweet snake ever, hes never been aggresive. on the other hand my banana california kingsnake is very tame when i pick him up, but when i feed him, after hes done eatin he still maintains some of his feeding response and he become very aggresive. i deal with this by just spraying water in his face and he stops being mean. otherwise he'll just try to eat me. i wouldnt say their demon snakes like some people here stated, but they each have a different personality.

13. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

King snakes are DEMONS! I have owned several- a few were OK-ish, but most WANTED to bite you!

14. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Each individual snake is different. Some make fantastic pets, some take extroadinary work to tame the "wild" out of them. You will find this to varrying degrees with any species of snake. That is why it is important to see your snake hands on in person before buying, if it is that important to you to have a docile pet.

Edit: i do not mean "you" as in ripkabird, i am reffering to anyone who is concerned with finding a docile pet snake.