This Disappears When Logged In

King Snake Growth Rate?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Melissa747, May 6, 2012.

1. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I just got my king about a week ago. She's only about a foot or so long and pretty skinny.. She's just a young one I suppose. Anyone know how long it'll take for her to get to full size? She's a banana reversed stripe king snake. :)

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Snakes don't really have a growth rate. They grow from their feeding schedual. If you fed him once a month he would stay super tiny and it would take him years to achive adult size(which can cause health issues) If you fed him every 3 days he would be adult size within 2 years, this is called "Power" feeding and it not recomended. It can lead to an obese animal.
    So if he eats once a week he should achive adult size at 3-4 years old. Even on the same schedual some snakes grow at different rates.
    Here are a few examples of some of my snakes
    My female ghost cornsnake was hatched June 29 2011, she is 25grams and 16 inches long
    My male Caramel cornsnake was hatched June 20 2011, he is 50grams and 21 inches long.
    My female butter, sister to the caramel hatched June 17 2011, she is 30 grams and 18 inches long.
    All fed weekly. So growth rate has a lot to do with the food and of course each animal is unique and grows at different rates. Just like us humans :) I was so short as a kid and now I tower over my childhood friends lol!

3. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

There is no such thing as "power feeding" if husbandry is correct (IE: thermal and humidity gradient)
    And a kingsnake doesn't have a feeding schedule the KEEPER does......
    Kingsnakes should be fed when they are hungry......not on Sunday after the news.....lol

A growing colubrid will WANT to eat 2 to 3 times a week......the small meals get digested quickly and the snake will want to eat sooner....a growing colubrid uses the caloric intake to grow...they cannot and will not get obese......They can and will eat over 100 meals each of their first two years if provided......

An adult snake will only want to eat around once a week....these larger meals take longer to digest/metabolize....An adult snake uses their food to sustain.......Breeding females will want to eat much more than once a week prior to ovulation for follicle formation......

A calking can reach adult size within 2.5 years....with no ill affects at all......only if kept optimal.....

Great advice wyldrose for those that do not provide great thermal and humidity gradients......and some kingsnakes do well on a once a week feeding schedule....

4. aldru

aldru Member

i was actually wondering about this too ... my snake is probably roughly one year old and eats 2 fuzzies twice a week. i thought it seemed like a lot but she still seems plenty voracious. should i try for a third fuzzy on her feed days? or add another feed day? trying to accustom her to handling, but she bites on feed day, kinda want to avoid feeding her three days a week cause then i would basically never be able to feed her...

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Maybe it is time to move her up to hoppers? I have 2 yearlings on hoppers now, I have 2 on peach fuzzies still.
    I follow this plan here with my colubrids
    http://www.medusa-corns.webs.com/feedingchart.htm

I don't agree with allowing snakes to eat as much as they can/will per feeding. I don't let my kids eat 3-4 chocolate bars a day just because they want to eat them. In the wild I am sure a young colubrid would eat a nest full of pinkys, but who knows when they will find their next meal. They eat like they don't know when the next meal is coming, which is why we only feed them once a week. This is the ideal diet/feeding routine that works, my snakes are all growing, some faster then others.
    If you fed every 3 days you would never have a chance to handle your snakes. Well except for a few mins before you feed.

6. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

You mean you will never be able to handle her.......?

I must always qualify the type of information I provide....lol
    I should consider that there are keepers that have no intention of breeding their snakes......
    I'm sure you don't need to up the meal frequency......especially if there isn't a 70 to 90 temp gradient.......
    Most kings kept by just keepers do well with the one to two feedings a week and a mid range temp......

Just remember that the best breeders were great keepers first.....
    A great keeper can learn from their snakes only if lots of options are provided.......
    When this is achieved thermal regulating can be actually seen then the keeper will know when to feed instead of following a set schedule they set and not the snakes......

7. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Why follow a set cookie cutter recipe in lieu of learning from your animals?
    You yourself will disprove all of the would be warnings set forth by the internet care sheets provided as a way to keep your animals alive rather than thriving........

After two decades of keeping kings I know my husbandry has improved every year.......I will never stop trying to improve things after I read a few care sheets........

I do remember doing it the less than optimal way and I have seen better results every year....but again, my way revolves around breeding.....not solely keeping.....

8. aldru

aldru Member

yeah wondering about the handling thing, because there isn't much of a window there. but if i try and handle her and she bites and hangs on, i figure it means she is hungry? and i dont really want to be too closely associated with food in her mind haha. trial and error, as long as she seems healthy i will continue to try out new things...