This Disappears When Logged In

Kinda New Snake Owner/ 1 Year.

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Jyoung123, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Jyoung123

Jyoung123 New Member

Hey I own a Nicaraguan boa and she's about 1 year and a bit...
    I got her as a baby from a reptile store and I'm
    Honestly just worried... Here's the breakdown.
    Had her in the same enclosure for the whole time,
    Changed water, fed every 2 weeks. Missed a week here and there.
    but I've always felt she was nippy and aggressive, anytime I go
    Near the cage she props her head, she smells, when it's feeding time she darts out 2 inches and stays there,
    Eats fine, I should start taking her out to eat..
    No hissing.
    I
    I haven't really held her to
    Much only a handful of times and I know that's not good..
    I was super nervous and one of my friends and I don't talk really
    ANymore who knows a lot about reptiles.

I just need suggestions.
    What should I do?
    She's probably a good 3-4 feet by now..
    I want to take her out and all..
    But I'm probably more nervous now cause of the size and seeing her ancyness all year in a way.
    She was goodish and probably slightly nervous then I ended up stopping to take her out I got really busy and I don't want to get a new snake cause she's perfect. I want her to love me like I would love her haha.
    I'm serious I need some help on this I lose sleep over night.

Attached Files:

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

It sounds more like a strong feeding response than actual aggression. Since you don't handle her that often, she associates you mainly with food, and she has learned that whenever you approach the enclosure, she gets to eat. So naturally, when she sees you come close, she becomes agitated because she thinks she's going to get fed. Take her out a few times a week for short sessions, so that she stops associating you with food and gets used to your smell. 3-4 feet is still a perfectly manageable size, you have nothing to worry about. Even if you do get bit, it's really not so bad; it's just one of those things that happen in this hobby, simple as that.
    With larger snakes that could potentially do some damage (large boas, burms, retics) you usually implement hook training, where you tap/rub the snake's head gently with the hook every time you open the cage to do other things than feed her. In time, the snake learns than hook=no food, and doesn't lunge at you for no reason. In your case, however, regular handling sessions should do the trick. Remember that snakes can sense fear/insecurity, so be confident and calm around her.
    Since she's still quite young, it's possible that she's simply really nervous and defensive, so make sure she has an appropriately sized hiding spot and that the enclosure isn't standing in a high-traffic area (hall, dining room, etc.). I think everything will be fine, but you need to be patient :) Please keep us updated:)

3. Jyoung123

Jyoung123 New Member

Thanks a lot friend, I heard nics have a slow
    DIgestion system and it takes about 2-3 days after feeding her to actually let's say hold them.
    I just don't want toe attempt it while she's still full tummied.
    I'm on my phone and it seems to be a little typomatic sorry.. Haha.
    Anywho, should I start by opening the cage slightly and rubbing her head with a hook?
    Almost 90 percent of the time she's in her enclosure with just her head peeping out.
    Maybe you can see an inch or two of neck sometimes. But in order for me to get her out of the enclosure is by lifting it from
    The entrance and the entrance is only
    So big. It's a rounded enclosure kind of like an igloo but not as high more wide.
    should I try slowly but surely
    Once every two days to lift the lid and pet her head and body with the hook? then once a day 3-4 times a week try rubbing her head like you said if it goes well after she sees the hook and it doesn't involve food.

I keep her in a spare room. I use that room as a computer room.
    I walk in the room maybe 20-30
    Times a day probably. And I'm in the room for
    Most of the day. The past two weeks I had time off work so I spent a lot
    Of hours on the computer so she might've gotten used to my
    Scent and voice sound. Here and they I say "heeey saasshaaaaa"

Just a bunch of curious questions...

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What size prey are you feeding? A hungry snake is a bitey snake!

5. Jyoung123

Jyoung123 New Member

I am feeding my snake large rats.. I just want to know excatly how to tell not to hold your snake

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If you mean how soon after feeding can you hold her, if the lump is gone or at least not very noticable, you should be fine working with her. Just start with short sessions, maybe only a couple minutes long at first, and go from there. As you spend more time with her, you'll get a feel for how long to work with her.