This Disappears When Logged In

Kind of Worried. Probably No Big Deal.

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by justor, Jun 1, 2012.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

Okay so I've had Dharma for about a month and a half now. Up until this past weekend she has spent almost all of her time out on her perch, but starting last Friday after her last meal she ventured into the hide log on the warm side of the enclosure and didn't come out for a few days. Wednesday when I woke up she was up in the perch again, but went back to hiding about an hour later. The same thing happened yesterday and today except this morning I noticed she is definitely going into shed. Today is supposed to be feeding day, but I guess I should wait until she sheds out to feed her. Do you think the shedding might be the reason for her sudden reclusiveness?

I have been worried this past week because she hasn't pooped since May 14. I took her out the other morning when I found her perched and gave her a soak in warm water for a few minutes, but nothing happened. Do you think she might be holding it until she finishes shedding? She did pass some urates with a tiny bit of poo last week, but she has at least two-possibly three mice in her right now waiting to be pooped out.

I hope hiding away all day doesn't become a regular thing with her. I have been feeding her from tongs in the evenings, but if she doesn't come out during the day I guess I will have to leave the mouse in the tank overnight. :/ I guess the only thing for me to do is wait for her to shed and see what happens next.

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about the not pooping much. Seems they all hold it at times and a bit of activity once they get ready to shed should take care of that. My ball just did the same thing. He went into his warm side and stayed there till he was ready to shed.

As for getting her to eat, if you let the smell of the mouse seep into her enclosure, if she's hungry she'll come out to investigate. Once she sticks her head out you can show her diner. Mine do as soon as they smell rodents :p