This Disappears When Logged In

Killer catfish? Venomous species surprisingly common, study finds

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Name all the venomous animals you can think of and you probably come up with snakes, spiders, bees, wasps and perhaps poisonous frogs. But catfish?

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Killer catfish? Venomous species surprisingly common, study finds?

2. rlayna

rlayna Elite Member

Cool article, didn't even realize there were venomous fish.

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I new it hurt way to much for a catfish to stick you and it not have some kind of irritant.lol I have been fishing way to many times and pricked way to many times by there fins. Trust me, it hurts! lol Yeah I might be a bit of a baby.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! I can't think of any serious fishermen that were not already aware of this!
    and catfish are not the only venomous fish. There are several ocean dwelling fish that are venomous. The lionfish, stonefish and stingray come to mind.

5. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

haha very true merlin, too many times i have been tagged by a catffishes spines to not know that there is something more to it. ive been "stung" before and had a painful wound for days after.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Merlin, it's no the ven fish you should be worried about in the oceans, it's the inverts! I have been stung toooo many times by one of my clients lionfish haha, this guy is mean and I can't seem to avoid him when cleaning the tank :-D. Anenomes pack a pretty mean punch as well, as do some specie of brain coral...when these guys decide to declare chemical warfare on eachother they destroy alot of life in the tanks. In general, under water creatures seem to be more dangerous and agressive then most land dwelling ones...

7. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

althought i have no experience with keeping marine anything, i do have to agree with this statement. invert venom is extremely fast acting and must pack quite a punch. hope i never get to feel that pain!!!!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My very first thought as well...

there are a few fish that are deadly, though as stated, they are marine. I do not (yet) know of any freshwater.

9. Lizardbreeder

Lizardbreeder Well-Known Member

well theres a little catfish that acts as a parasite if you watch river monsters many catfish kill men

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Jellyfish have some of the most potent venom out there.

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yup - that's why I take a pair of heavy gloves when I go, in case I catch a catfish! But venom or not -- they are YUMMY!!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There are some very nifty catfish - Candiru have interesting (and sometimes excruciating) habits. Google it if you are not already enlightened.

I agree frognut - Delicious!