This Disappears When Logged In

Kids and Animals

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by dannigd, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

aw cute!

2. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I agree. I can't decide what is cuter though: your daughter, the snake, or your daughter holding the snake! Haha Kids are so awesome! Did she pick a name yet?

3. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

She named him Slimey. LOL

4. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Lol, Slimey! Kids will be kids. Too, cute!

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I thought king snakes tend to be kind of bitey? never had a snake by the way...

6. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Actually they are very tame from what I read. Every animal has the potential to bite!!! I double checked with a friend of mine who is a snake breeder about what would be the best snake to get her my choice was a Kingsnake or a python. They however will get aggressive if they see you feed them in their cage.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If it has a mouth, it can bite. The question is how much damage it can do.

8. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Well she is happy, and it really is cute!!

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

oh I know anything with a mouth could bite, however I heard that they were kind of temperamental snakes. I haven't researched them at all though.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think feisty is a good word :p

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Awww, your daughter is so adorable!! The snake just makes the picture perfect! I think kingsnakes are possibly one of those species of snakes that get a reputation and have a hard time getting rid of it, there is a possibility that it will be nippy, but then it may just be as calm as can be. Good luck with "Slimey" and I hope it is the beginning of a long and beautiful friendship together.

12. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Everything I have read on them said nothing about them being aggressive, mean, feisty etc. Only if you feed them in there cage and they see you bring the food.

LOL However I guess anyone can be feisty once in awhile.

As far as how bad the animal bites! I have had a monkey, hamsters, guinea pig, rabbit, mole, parrot, dog, cats, turtle, iguanas, bearded dragon and now to my collection a snake. The hamster gave me 5 stitches, the iguana gave me razor blade cuts and my mother's dog gave me a face full of stitches. So honestly I don't know why people are so paranoid about a snake bite.

13. David McConley

Well, you have the right frame of mind. I always tell people that I know my snakes can bite me, but I am more worried about their "tame" dogs and cats.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

My boy, Blade, is as docile as can be but my female, Storm, is aggressive from the first day that I got her and still is 7 years later.

She has bitten me several times and I am actually used to it by now. Yes she does draw blood but nothing to cry about. I started handling her with gloves but it does not confuse her, she strikes anywhere that she sees flesh. At the beginning the shock of being bitten by a snake freaked my husband and daughter out. Neither one of them has ever touched Storm and by choice they never will.

She does not like being handled, nothing that I do will change that so I had to accept it. I think there are several of her kind out there and that is why kingsnakes got a reputation.

My boy however has no problem with anybody handling him and has never striked at anybody.;)

Until you have established Smiley's personality, my advice would be, that you must just keep a close eye on Smiley when your daughter handles her.;)

15. David McConley

That is very solid advice Linky. It helps to remember also that even a snake that has never bitten before can have a bad day!

16. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree, I've had more nasty puncture wounds from dogs and infected scratches from cats-- I can't imagine a snake bite being worse. (I've seen them bite my dogs - and those snakes were TRYING to do damage, and it was minor). The problem is people don't expect a cute dog or cat to bite or scratch. And they look at a snake and think -- OMG it's going to eat me!!!!

As with all animals, treat them properly, learn what you need to know and start working with them young. (You got that part right with both your daughter and the snake:))

Now, If I could just borrow your adorable daughter to convince my hubby to let me get a snake that would be nice...

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

When I was a kid I always had bloody cuts from our cat. I deserved it but he bit like no other. I love him though.

Hamsters are known to cause some really bad bites and they are the number one first pet for kids. Besides fish.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Some cal kings are just docile as can be and others are little pain in the rears! I know of some that routinely attempt to (and DO) swallow keepers' fingers!
    Ours was fine for several months and then one day it started biting. And it was not a tag and release sort of bite. It was a bite, hold on and grind, trying to swallow, bite!
    A good idea is to keep a bottle of alcohol handy untill you are sure of its nature. Its much easier on both biter and the bitten to use the alcohol to make the snake release.

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Luckily Storm hasn't done that yet. Even thou it is nothing to be bitten it still is not nice and I don't think it is good for the snake either.
    I got the alchohol for my ig, hopefully, I will never have to use it with Storm.

I only take Storm out when I really have to but I still love her although she is nasty.;)

I really think the majority of Kings are very friendly and I am sure you will enjoy smiley.;)

20. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Gosh I am WAY behind on this posting! Is that child cute or WHAT!?
    Actually they both are LOL. My daughter wants a snake too and I just try to stay away.
    I have too many as it is, pets that is.
    Good luck and tell you/her congrats on the new addition!
    :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.