This Disappears When Logged In

Kids and Animals

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by dannigd, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Ok I told my daughter (4 years old) that if she let me get rid of her turtle (was wild in the first place so let it back into the wild) that I would get her any animal in the pet store. Needless to say what did she pick a Tegu. Which I did not buy. It is very tame and well behaved except for it is very fast. I tried talking her into a frog, snake or hamster. LOL She wants the lizard. Any other suggestions?

Yes mom is the one that will be taken care of and I have two lizrad's already.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Definitely a good call on refusing the tegu! No matter how tame it is!
    Maybe try to nudge her in the way of a leopard gecko or dazzle her with all the different colors of cornsnakes.

Or you could always go the hardline approach,..its this or NOTHING!

Ah, the joys of children are many fold! ;)

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You walked into that one! :p

All it would take my mom is saying the petsore said no one wants this animal if we don't get it.... I WANT IT MOM

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Good luck getting out of that sticky situation! Sadly, I agree with Kendalle, you walked into that one with BOTH feet. Kids do bounce back quickly though and as Merlin said, you may have to take the hard line approach and say NO, you can have this or this, but not this. I will be anxiously watching the replies here as I have a 2 year old and I know my time is upcoming.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

How about a bearded dragon or a Leopard gecko?

Frog,... did I hear frog.../

I have a lovely firebellied toad setup I'm trying to rehome. ;)

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

It figures the kid picks something like that, lol. Happens every time. I think a leo would be great. :)

7. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

I have not done my research but I have heard that geckos are mean?

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Leopard geckos are great starter lizards. They are pretty hearty and can be handled and they don't take up a lot of space. (A 20g tank will last a life time.)

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Depends entirely on species. If you want a mean gecko, get a Tokay. Leos are really quite docile creatures.

10. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Boy, is that right! Nasty little buggers! They are beautiful, though.

Leopard Geckos don't have a mean bone in their body, unless of course, you're a cricket! ;)

11. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Thanks everyone! I think I'll go with the leapard gecko if she still wants an animal. Going with Merlin's approach this or nothing. :D

12. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Great choice! For a child, a Leopard Gecko is MUCH better than a Tegu! :D

13. Yea, 4 year olds and Tegus I don't think is such a good idea. I had one and had to give him to my cousin, I could have just left him alone with me and he would have been fine but they get pretty darn big! When I had mine, my daughter was about 6 or 7 and I didn't want to keep him in the house cuz he was mean and not even close to full grown (tried to tame him, DID NOT WORK).
    My cousin still has the bugger and he NEVER takes him out. Got him a huge cage but told me it's a pain in the *** to clean it and he got a few REALLY good bites from Bandit.

Good Luck!!!

14. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Why do folks suggest a completely nocturnal lizard for children? I had a hard time with my 10 and 12 year old sons with Leos. "No, you can't take him out and play with him during the day, when you are awake. You have to wait until it's nighttime to hold him, when you are asleep". LOL!

I think Beardies are particularly nice and gentle lizards. Fairly easy to care for and cute as heck.

Oh, whatever you do, don't pick the 'cute little green lizard' for your 4 year old. I did and now 10 years later he's a giant of an iguana. now I can easily say "no" at the pet store, over and over and over again, as if they never learn. LOL!

15. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

LOL I picked the little green lizard for me and after reading about the leapard gecko I'm like why didn't I get that one. LMAO Oh well I love my Yoshi.

I have a bearded dragon but you have to watch how you hold them so thought a beardie wouldn't be good for her. Not that's she rough but you guys should have seen the girl with the turtle. :D

16. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

LOL! :D I have to tell my little brother that almost EVERY day! I do turn her lights off while we are still awake, though. Lights on at 7am, and off at 7pm.

Oh! And Dinnigd, have a caresheet! :)
    Leopard Gecko (Eublepharis macularius) Caresheet

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

russian tort may be good but require a lot of space. Or a beardie

I still say you can tell the kid that someone is waiting to pick up the tegu but no one wants the beardie (or whatever) what do you think we should do? Do you think you can love that and give it a home?

18. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Update!! Ok she picked a California Kingsnake banded. I'm shocked she didn't want the Leapord Gecko. I'll post pictures later.

19. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Good choice! Much better than a Tegu lol!

20. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

The new snake. LMAO I said I would never own a snake and didn't like them until I joined this website. :) I owe the love of snakes all too you guys now.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.