This Disappears When Logged In

Keeping Wild Caught Animals. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drep, Sep 1, 2014.

1. drep

drep Member

Hello everyone! Just last night I managed to catch two toads (both american toads I believe) last night. They are both young probably an inch and a half to two inches and one is missing an eye (from the looks of it it happened a while ago it already appears to be healed. Now my question would it be okay for me to keep these two little guys or gals or would it be better to release them back?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

1196023238_983205c3d6.jpg

Yup Can 'O Worms topic....

Your going to get some very heated debates when you do a search on the topic. And there are a few on site...

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

As to your question..

These are young morphs and if one has a missing eye it may well be first in the foodchain. I'd not have a problem with keeping one out of the thousands born this summer. However, check your local laws to be POSATIVE about your area's collecting laws. Many states now have a NO RELEASE policy now in the books, meaning once removed it is never to be released again into the wild. If you are 100% ok with this and will not treat the animal as a "Free, Disposable" "Who Cares it didn't cost me anything" type of pet, than most will be ok with it. But not all, there are some that have a polar view to mine and that's ok and normal, EI Nothing removed from the wild when there are plenty of captive breeders out there supplying herps to the industry. Only problem with that line up is if you are very interested in LOCAL critters... That NO ONE is breeding or sending into the market place, at least not here in the states :p I found some breeders of local lizards I love but they are in Germany.... Overnight shipping on top of non-native (over there) premiums will scare the pants off you... for something that is running across my wall right now....

If your into the exotics and mainstream critters than by all means a captive born/raised option is out there in spades... everywhere you look :) But even that has it's drawbacks and you need to take that all into consideration in making your choice... Cost of critter should ALWAYS be the last thing you consider, quality costs and cheap herps means someone somewhere has cut corners or hasn't told you everything.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In my opinion if it is a common species with no regulations regarding it or not being a species of concern, I have no problem with people catching and keeping a wild animal.
    With one stipulation.
    You have to be willing and able to care for it properly. Not just going out and catching something toss it in a container and expecting it to thrive.
    It won't.